Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about QSC PLX1602

xvincex

Hello I just bought this poweramp. I'm driving it with a SansAmp RBI. I'd like to know, at what level should I usually put the gain control of channel 1 (bridged mono mode) ??? I'm kinda confused with all those dB, because I have also XLR knob and LEVEL on the SansAMP RBI, anyway could clarify this for me? Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In your gain structure, remember that you don't want to clip anything i.e. you don't want the signal from the sansamp to be clipped and you don't want the power amp to clip either.

I'd turn the power amp way up and then use the pre-amp to control the volume. This mightn't be the best in terms of signal to noise ratio but it does mean that you won't clip anywhere.

Try a search on "gain structure"...

Any other opinions?

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Originally posted by xvincex:

all the way up to what?

turn the gain knobs fully clockwise, commonly known as "all the way up."

the sansamp BDDI is known to be somewhat low in output level, so you won't have to worry about it overdriving the input to you PLX. thus, you can safely turn the gain knobs to any position you want without fear of clipping your amp. in order to get the most volume possible from your amp, you should turn the gain knobs fully clockwise (of "all the way up").

perhaps you should spend some more time with the owner's manual of your PLX. i've read them before; they're thorough and well written. i'm confident that if you have confusion, a couple passes of the manual will help you out. it's also in multiple languages, if english isn't your primary language.

robb.

Hehe yeah I don't have the owner's manual though I looked at it on Internet. I'll then turn the gain control to the max, and just adjust the master volume with the XLR knob on the RBI, what's the "LEVEL" knob for then on the RBI??

The "level" knob controls the 1/4" output, and XLR level controls the XLR output. I think the idea is that the 1/4" output drives your amp, and the XLR is for the mixing board or house sound. Look at the back of the RBI, and you will see a

-20db pad button near the XLR output. If you're using the XLR connection, try both the 0db and -20db settings, and you will see a huge difference in the output of the preamp. I use the XLR output, because its the only way to stop ground loop hum for me.

Yes.... The manual says that by having seperate controls for stage and house sound gives you more control.

But I would like to try plugging headphones in there, except I don't have any. If you do, let me know if it works.

Archived