Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whatcha listenin' to? (Yet again!)

_Sweet Willie_

Today I've got Kiko by Los Lobos and a cd with:

Bad, Nationwide ZZ Top

Waiting for the Bus/Jesus left Chicago ZZtop

Tush-ZZ

Its only love ZZ

Cause we ended as lovers,Porkpie Hat,Sophie,Head for Backstage pass- Jeff Beck

I've been on a huge old ZZ Top kick lately. Some badass grooves on that old stuff. Those guys are a trip.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple Complex, by Jon Webber and the crew at Deaf Dog in Chicago (John Ovnick).

Masterful, well composed and played, too many in the trenches players to list.

UP for several preliminary Grammy categories.

Every track with the exception of 2 bass tracks, were recorded with (day job) cables.

Also listening to Johnny Hiland's brand new self titled album. Destined to be and is, one of the true guitar masters.

Last but not least, Nick Smith "It's Like That", produced via MI in Los Angeles. Nick is Stanley Clarks keyboard player but, in his own right, extremely talented.

The players, Stanley on bass, Dennis Chambers on kit and others. Very straight ahead and concentrated. Nick is a frist rate player.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Galactic Cowboys. Partly because I like to hear multiple-course basses driving HEAVY (Monty does it nasty) since I'm often using a similar sound when I play out - partly because I like their approach to vocal arrangements (see background vocals thread).

I've been on a huge old ZZ Top kick lately. Some badass grooves on that old stuff. Those guys are a trip.
He! He! I'm a closet Top fan.

If you're down in Acuna and you ain't up to being alone

don't spend all your money on just any honey that's grown.

Go find the Mexican blackbird and send all your troubles back home.

They all call her her "puta" 'cause no one really knows her name.

She works the cantina, dancin' and a-lovin's her trade.

Her mama was Mez'can and her daddy was the ace of spades.

Oh, let's drive that old Chrysler down to Mexico, boy.

Said, keep your hands on the wheel there.

Oh, it sure is fine, ain't it?

Now, ya got it! Hand me another one of them brews from back there.

Oh, this is gonna be so good.

Mm, she's hot as a pepper but smooth as a Mexican brew.

So head for the border and put in an order or two.

The wings of the blackbird will spread like an eagle for you.

Oh, one more time,

can you roll me another Bull Durham, please?

Can't you do it with one hand, boy?

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

I have been listening/watching the new "Clatter" DVD Blinded in Boonville. It RAWKS!!! It is even better than the filming, that I had the pleasure of attending, because of the interviews with Amy and Joe.

Way to go Clatter :thu::thu:

MercenaryBassist, got any of the Zappa/Bruce Bickford stuff? I got to hang out with Bickford at his home, nearly every square foot of garage, home and basement dedicated to his animation displays, tools, scenes, and supplies. Awesome!

...I'm listening to, right now on CDBaby: me infecto's World We Will Digest and Reality & All It\'s Friends .

...I see they caught the virus that's been an internet epidemic the past five years: Icantuseanapostrophetosavemylifeidosis*

Anyway, it looks like a few different approaches to TWO-PIECE-NO-GUITARS are breaking out of the bass-n-drums forumula - as clatter has. These guys have some decent ideas.

* closely related to bromodosis - STINK FOOT

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

A two-album CD, originally released as "Apostrophe" and "Overnite Sensation".

I have that version as well. That was the very first Zappa CD that I bought and coincidentally the first one that I heard that made me just fall in love with Zappa's music. I was at a party and someone put that CD in the stereo. As soon as I heard it, I sat down and listened to the whole thing and went out and bought it the next day. Here I am now, several years and 43 Zappa CDs later. Music is the best.

To stay on-topic, today I heard:

Jane's Addiction: Nothing's Shocking

The Jelly Jam: The Jelly Jam and 2

The Beastie Boys: Ill Communication

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones: Left of Cool

The Allman Brothers: Decade of Hits: 1969-1979

Bryan Beller: View

and right this very second I'm listening to:

Robert Fripp: A Blessing of Tears

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I've been listening to this CD:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001XAMS6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Unbelievably amazing. Edgar is a freak of nature...his arco technique is simply unparalleled...and his sound is so sonorous. He can bow an open harmonic and it'll make you cry.

Bela's no slouch either. :D

There's a great bonus DVD that chronicles their time on the road together, revolving mostly around their efforts to rehearse this extremely difficult canon that Edgar wrote right before the tour started. They finally play it all the way through without screwing up by the final concert of the tour...and man, it's HARD! :eek:

I'll be gittin' my own copy of the mastered version of Mrs. Grundy's #3 With a Mullet tomorrow...I'll tease you guys with the details then...

I bought this about a week ago because you posted this. I'm listening to it for the first time right now. Good god this rules. With every note that passes, this is making it's way to my "absolutely must own" list of albums.

Right now in my CD player at home is Good charlotte's first 2 CDs which i listen to everyday!!! and Green Day is in my CD player and Muse and Silver Chair!!! they all ROCK HARD!!! expecially GC!!! i mean first of all the Bass player "Paul" is GREAT i actually talked to him before...and the guitarists Billy and Benji ROCK VERY HARD!!!(and billy makes me melt :wave:
im outta here,Barrel

I have a project studio at home and have been doing some recording. Right now I am laying down some bass tracks for some original stuff--using primarily my 1965 Jazz (straight into the board) and my Stingray 5 (DI from my SWR Grand Prix).

Life is sweet. :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Satriani - The Extremist

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Savy Show Stoppers (Yes, Having an Average Weekend, the Kids in the Hall theme is on it.)

HALO: Original Soundtrack

In an instrumental mood at the moment. Dad raising me on The Ventures and Herb Alpert might have some influence.

ATM

Cowboy Junkies BLACK EYED MAN (great songs well played - and lyrics/stories worth listening to just for their poetic integrity) - just swapping out for the Mick Karn COLLECTOR'S EDITION. This one has a Halloween vibe much of the time. No cowards allowed.

• 2 months later...

I thought that I would bump this thread up, I haven't seen it in a while. I figured that with the Christmas season now past some of us would have new goodies in the CD player.

As for myself:

Brian Wilson's "Smile" - I haven't had the opprotunity to listen all the way through it yet but so far so good.

I did a road trip recently, always a great time to do some listening.CD's for the drive:

Shania Twain - Greatest Hits

Govt Mule - Dose

Oingo Boingo - Anthology

Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Greatest Hits

Rush - Moving Pictures

Missing Persons - Spring Session M

Various Christmas Music

How 'bout ya'll?

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by bassric:

Bach's Goldberg Variations, by Andràs Schiff.

This is a must have record. Way much better than any other versions I have listened to. And I own a few.

Better than Glen Gould's original recording from the 1950's???
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I got an MP3 player and subscription to an online service for Christmas so I have been listening (and playing to) stuff like Springsteens "Rosalita", Zeps "Song remains the same" soundtrack and, oddly enough, Pink Floyds "Animals."

A note on technology -

At first, I was leary of the credit card sized plastic thing that boasted 4 hours of memory. (much as I was when format went from LP to 8 track, to cassette, etc.) And the software wasn't immediately compatible and I was tempted to beat my chest and grunt "Unnngg - change BAD!!". But I stuck to it and discovered a world of portability and convenience. What a great world we live in.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Right now, this

has been playing in a continous loop in my head for a week!!! If it continues much longer someone will have to die.

I was happy to have a long lost cd re-purchased for me as a xmas present. Led Zep 3. I've been trying to block out the above mentioned song with "Since I've Been Loving You".

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Archived