Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whatcha listenin' to? (Yet again!)

_Sweet Willie_

OK, the Mrs. Grundy CD is finally off repeat. (See earlier post.)

I have replaced it with The Roots' new joint, The Tipping Point. I haven't listened to this one enough to give suitable critique, but my general impression is that it's another quality CD from the boyz from Philly w/ Leonard "Hub" Hubbard on bass. There are a couple of sweet tracks in the middle w/ righteous ol' skool hip-hop flava. I love that.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am such an old fart.

At work this week, Jefferson Airplane. "2400 Fulton St.," disc 2. (Makes me want to run out & buy Levi's.)

At home, Supertramp, "Breakfast in America." Yes, again, because (a) I dig that album and (b) I'm learning all the songs, because Thompson's style & timing are impeccable.

I've been listening to this CD:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001XAMS6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Unbelievably amazing. Edgar is a freak of nature...his arco technique is simply unparalleled...and his sound is so sonorous. He can bow an open harmonic and it'll make you cry.

Bela's no slouch either. :D

There's a great bonus DVD that chronicles their time on the road together, revolving mostly around their efforts to rehearse this extremely difficult canon that Edgar wrote right before the tour started. They finally play it all the way through without screwing up by the final concert of the tour...and man, it's HARD! :eek:

I'll be gittin' my own copy of the mastered version of Mrs. Grundy's #3 With a Mullet tomorrow...I'll tease you guys with the details then...

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I'll be gittin' my own copy of the mastered version of Mrs. Grundy's #3 With a Mullet tomorrow...I'll tease you guys with the details then...

Oooooooh. Know when it'll be on sale? CD Baby or elsewhere?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

.. Man I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes

Pocket Full of Kryptonite by Spin Doctors

Although their first hit got on my nerves after a while, the whole album is great.

But who listens to hits anyway?

I always considered them one of my dirty little secrets.

I also like to listen to this guy yodel and snore.

http://www.wagenschenke.ch/HomeRun.swf

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Rastus Kain and the Blame - Guitar Fool

I used to run sound for this guy when he would come to town. He's a smokin' blues slide guitarist out of Fla. His childhood friend is a local bassplayer and I met them through a drummer friend of mine. Great cats but the drummer moved away and I haven't heard from them for a while.

I just picked up the new Van Halen "Best Of" double CD but I haven't gotten to really give it much of a listen.

Will be picking up the Bela Fleck CD this weekend.

Bunch of different stuff for building set lists.

Oh, and I've always dug the Spin Doctors. Cleopatra's Favorite Cat is one of my faves.

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

"Darker than Blue: Soul from Jamdown"--an awesome compilation of late 60's-early 70's reggae covers of US soul hits.

Roy Hardgrove, "RH Groove", with Reggie Washingtom, Pino and Me'Shell playing bass.

Two more great compilations--"Texas Funk" and "Midwest Funk."

Donny Hathaway's first album, "Everything is Everything" (with great bass playing by Louis Satterfield and Phil Upchurch), and "Donny Hathaway Live", with Willie Weeks, are never far away.

Bobi Cespedes "Rezos" and Pancho Quinto "Rumba sin Fronteras", both with the very groovin' ex-BayArea-ite Rahsaan Fredericks providing the low end.

John Scofield's "EnRoute" (Steve Swallow), and "Up All Night" (Andy Hess).

Lately I've been on a ridiculous Led Zeppelin kick. My truck has an MP3 disc that I made of every officially released studio album plus the BBC sessions. At home, the disc changer has How The West Was Won on random/repeat.

I'm dyin' for a mastered version of the new Grundy disc. I've heard most of it in one stage or another and it owns much, much real estate.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I'm dyin' for a mastered version of the new Grundy disc.

Moi aussi. I also want some quality cover art and a CD label that looks really cool when it spins super-fast in the CD player. But I'd settle for just the mastered disc.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I've heard most of it in one stage or another and it owns much, much real estate.

Huge tracts of land. Mos def.

Back to the topic at hand -- recently Starfish, the late '80s CD from The Church, has been seeing some playing time after a lengthy hiatus away from the CD player. Additionally I pulled out my Cottonmouth D.N. Dopecore CD, which is really a lovely album.

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

the late '80s CD from The Church, has been seeing some playing time after a lengthy hiatus away from the CD player
Had to stick my copy of Heyday on after you said that :thu:
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Also, Under the Milkyway Tonight is a thing of beauty which i heard on Donnie Darko. I love the whole vibe of the music in that film. Its slickly produced music but with a bit of darkness to it...
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Most recently I have been alternating between the four albums Clutch has put out in the last 2 years, other than that any Primus and Lamb of God's 'As Tht Palaces Burn'.

Black Label Society's 'Hangover Music vol. VI' is just amazing, too.

"F--k Damnation, F--k Redemption." Tyler Durden-FIGHT CLUB

Final Fantasy VII - Reunion. Aeris Theme has to be one of the most beatiful pieces ever but i doubt many people will ever listen to it :( .

Final Fantasy VIII - Fithos Lusec.

Various Artists- Rock Against Bush Vol. 1 & 2

these are two great Compilation Cd's. Only 6 bucks for 28 artists and songs (all rare or unreleased), and a free DVD with political shorts about the Dangerous bush administration, music video's, and comdey peieces.

even if u don't hate Bush.....go out and buy them. :D

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Archived