Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leaving bands

Afro_Man

I've just done a gig with my band and gathered them all together afterwards and told them i was leaving for various reasons, they all took it rather well, which i was pleased about.

I was just wondering if you've had any similar situations, how the other members reacted and what happened afterwards, even any advice would be good.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving a band, especially one you have been with through bad times, and even rougher times - and still somehow made it through it all - is always a hard thing to do. I came to the realization that I wasn't the right bass player for my band probably a good couple months ago now.. (dunno if any of you remember me and my predicament when I was posting..)

They (the band) really didn't want me to leave, which kind of surprised me. They thought I was making a wrong choice in wanting to leave, and when I talked to them about it, they made it sound like I was quitting on playing bass all together - which isn't the case!

It's a decision only you (or they, assuming the band ever kicks you out) can make and usually truely understand. I left my band because I didn't want to play the type of music they did - which is probably the case for a lot of band members leaving. I still don't even really know what I want a band to sound like, I just want to play my bass.

On a sidenote, I'm contemplating on just being a session musician, or something...

"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

A while back I was in a cover band, and after the initial fun of learning all the songs I began to hate it. I was all set to quit and they gave me the boot! I was never so happy to be fired in my life!

Right now I sort of have the opposite situation; the drummer quit, and I don't know if I want to stick with the Guitarist / Singer (of 50% of the songs).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

well I can tell you that you were alot cooler about it than my old band mates.....the guitarist and keyboardist(50% of the band)just quit the band and took all there music with them to play for another band(and not use the tunes)..left me and the drummer high(not!) and dry!!! ...I was pretty miffed as they cited the reason was they wanted to "play for god"...and we weren't "born agains".....doh!...well....4 months later the band they dumped us for "left" them....ain't that a b!tch?...
Have you hugged your bass today?

It seems that sometimes you start of with one set of alright guys and end up with a bunch of ejits. I've had both the good and the bad experience, the first band i was with, i don't even speak to anymore, thats how badly they acted, but with the latest band it seems ok, i've spoken to them all since and it seems we've done the mature thing and acted like adults (im so surprised) i guess the main thing is to remember that you're all friends.
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Archived