Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

saw medeski martin and wood saturday...

saw MMW saturday at the milwaukee summerfest...

damn! smokin fine!

never seen em before but theyre one of my favorite groups, such an awesome groove those guys can create

it was just the trio, playing some freakin awesome jams that had us all groovin and boogie'n all nite long

on the bass player side of things, chris wood played his upright (dope, makes me want one), pbass (dope, makes me want one), and some unidentified bass that kinda looked like the one tina weymouth uses inn 'stop making sense' (no not that one... the other one)

of course billy martin and john medeski freakin rocked the house incredibly too

all in all it was a frookin awesome time that gave me much joy and happiness and dancing... hooray!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Wood was featured on the cover of Bass Player a few years ago..not too far back.

He had a Hofner Beatle bass during that photo shoot...

Did you notice what type of amp and speakers he was using?

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by 57pbass:

Chris Wood was featured on the cover of Bass Player a few years ago..not too far back.

He had a Hofner Beatle bass during that photo shoot...

Did you notice what type of amp and speakers he was using?

oh wait, yea, maybe that was it, maybe it was a hofner

as for amplification he was using an Ampeg, you kno, whatever the big industry standard Ampeg bass amp is... he used it for the electrics and the upright

once again, dopity dope dope

PS-new album coming out... :D

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Chris Wood is the man.

I especially love his upright work. He evokes the spirit of Charles Mingus in a big way...

yea he plays great... great groove... great growly upright sound

and the only mingus im familiar with really is 'haitian fight song' but even with just that i can totally agree with you :)

Wood's unaccompanied rubato intro to their cover of Monk's "Bemsha Swing" is pure Mingus.

A great place to start with Mingus' huge catalogue is "Live at Antibes, 1960". Totally intense, totally Mingus. Dolphy is on fire.

I was at Summerfest on Saturday, with every intention of seeing MMW, but it started POURING around 3 PM or so and never let up...didn't feel like sitting in the rain, so I regrettably split before they started.

Good news, though, is that they'll be here in Cleveland tomorrow night.

I was at Summerfest in 99 and the same thing happened...we saw Taj Mahal play two songs and the rest of the day was rained out...torrential rain storms and a small twister...

www.danielprine.com

A great place to start with Mingus' huge catalogue is "Live at Antibes, 1960". Totally intense, totally Mingus. Dolphy is on fire.

Thanks for the tip. The only Mingus I currently have is East Coasting and I don't really care for it. I do have Money Jungle Duke,Roach,Mingus which is killer.

MMW and the Roots were great the other night. I'm not into 311, so I didn't stay too long after they went on. My first time seeing the roots. WOW. WOW. I mean WOW. They tore the roof off da sucker.

One of things I dig about Chris Wood is that he plays so much of the melodic and harmonic structure of the band, with a relatively small number of notes, musically efficient. That leaves martin and medeski to just go anywhere they want.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived