Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rising Low

Jimbroni

Rising Low

Anybody seen this. I just watched it on sundance channel. Mike Gordon of Phish put together this tribute documentary to The Late Allen Woody of Gov't Mule. The guys from Mule recorded an album with 25 of our heroes. Bootsy, Larry Graham, Flea, Claypool, Jack Bruce, Meshell, Phil Lesh, George Porter Jr. The list goes on, its great tribute not only to Allen but to the low end in general. The sad thing is why haven't I heard about this, until now.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jimbroni:

Rising Low

Anybody seen this. I just watched it on sundance channel. Mike Gordon of Phish put together this tribute documentary to The Late Allen Woody of Gov't Mule. The guys from Mule recorded an album with 25 of our heroes. Bootsy, Larry Graham, Flea, Claypool, Jack Bruce, Meshell, Phil Lesh, George Porter Jr. The list goes on, its great tribute not only to Allen but to the low end in general. The sad thing is why haven't I heard about this, until now.

Get the audio CDs, The Deep End, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 - great!

I keep missing it on Sundance, finally put it on my calendar. Click here for the four more times it is on Sundance in July.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Tis a great movie. Buy it on DVD if you can. Repeated viewings bring about much enjoyment.

I'm not crazy about Gordon's silly hippie analyzations of "what's happening in the mind of the bass player," etc. It comes across as a bit contrived to me...but as a whole I like the movie quite a bit.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Tis a great movie. Buy it on DVD if you can. Repeated viewings bring about much enjoyment.

'Tis a true statement. I've enjoyed watching my copy several times.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I'm not crazy about Gordon's silly hippie analyzations of "what's happening in the mind of the bass player," etc. It comes across as a bit contrived to me...but as a whole I like the movie quite a bit.

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand Gordon, he gets on my nerves about one hippie statement into his introduction. It's worth putting up with him to see and hear all the great bass players though.

I'm a huge Gordon fan, but I too think that whole bass player aura thing kinda he was trying to do stood waay out of place in the film.. other than that I dug it too!

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

hmmm? Silly and contrived. I guess thats accurate. Forget what band he came from? I wouldn't expect anything less.

Yeah he was stretching a bit into left field, but I still enjoyed it. Actually, I thought the way he did all that made it interesting. It wasn't your standard interview a bunch a musicians and dicuss the life of the tributee. I thought it was well done. I don't buy alot of that hindu shakra stuff either, but I did get a kick out of way everyone described the groove feeling. It tickled me when someone mentioned pythagoreas and the vibration of the spheres. Something I've always been intrigued about.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived