Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Traveling to NYC, Need some advise

Stackimo

Heya guys and girls,

Going to the big apple at the end of the month. Very excited about it. Haven't been there in 22 years when I was a youngin.

Anyhoo, going to be there for 3 nights over a weekend and will be staying very close to Times Square in Mid Town. I am looking for two things.

First: What are the best music stores to visit? Please be specific. As I am very unfamiliar with the area. If possible keep it in my general area unless it is well worth the trip outside Manhattan. I am interested in looking at purchasing a bass too, most likely a bargin used.

Second: I am a fan of many types of music from Punk to Rock to Jazz. I just want to hear good music. Can anyone give me some tips as the best places to find live music. During the day or evening. Please keep it close to where I am staying as well.

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the best places to buy music, hmmm

if you're going to be near times square you can try the virgin megastore which is in times square. they have pretty much everything ever recorded, but you'll pay regualr retail prices. for assloads of cds without breaking the bank you need to hit st marks place (east village). there are a ton of record stores there, mostly specializing in used. they have new as well and if you check out st marks sounds you can get almost any new cd for $10 or less. used runs much cheaper. being located in the east village they generally have anything you maight be looking for too.

for used instruments check out chelsea guitars on 23rd st (and i believe between 7th and 8th, but it may be 8th and 9th). i've always thought their attitude sucked (they really need to think you're intending to buy something or they won't give you a second look) but they have a great big bunch of stuff in what is essentially a pawn shop.

live music? get off the train south of 14th street and spit. wherever your loogie lands, you can bet there's live music there.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Here goes the tour.. these stores are all located on the west side which works well for you..you can start on 48th and work your way downtown or start at Bleeker St and head north...

Start at Matt Umanov which is on Bleecker St (aka West Village) very nice area.

Visit Johns Pizza right accross the street.tops in NYC

Head north to 14th St and visit the Guitar Center between 5th and 6th Aves

Head north to 23rd St and visit Chelsea Guitars between 7th and 8th. Its near the Chelsea Hotel where The Sex Pistols roomed.

Head north to 30th St and visit 30th st guitars

lots of used gear between 7th and 8 th Aves

head north to 48th and you have Sam Ash, Rudys.

You will find many things to see along this route..

For the live music part..

Pick up a free copy of The Village Voice when you arrive in town..it has all the club listings.

Village Voice resides in red honor boxes on street corners throughout NYC

Have a good trip...

www.danielprine.com

Now thats what I am talking about. Thank you for the detailed replies.

If anyone has something to add to that, you are welcome.

Thank you

flight of stairs."

When you get to town, pick up a newspaper at any newsstand called The Village Voice. It will have tons of info about the live music scene.

There's a concentration of music stores on 48th Street just east of 7th Avenue (Manny's, Sam Ash, others). For sheet music and method books, check out The Colony music store (49th and Broadway).

The Black Knight always triumphs!

There's a concentration of music stores on 48th Street just east of 7th Avenue (Manny's, Sam Ash, others).

Sorry to say Manny's is Sam Ash ...

Sam Ash purchased them a few years ago... :(

They pretty much carry the same stuff...

I really miss Manny's. They once carried the full line of Bag End and had it out on display...

www.danielprine.com

Thanks again for the detailed information.

I am glad there is a place I can go and know that my "call" can be answered.

flight of stairs."

Archived