Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass head longevity....

Raven

It finally happened......after 25 years of use and abuse without a problem, my Acoustic 320 head went up in smoke. It made the most awful 60hz roar for a split second and went dead :eek: . I tried replacing the fuse but it immediately blew. When I opened it up to see what happened, I found the coupling capacitor across the output transistors had exploded, and 3 power transistors have holes in the tops. A tech that I trust said he can fix it for about $100.

Seems like a good deal. Its always been a killer amp, especially through the 4x15 cab. Once its fixed, it'll probably outlast me. I just thought it was amazing that it lasted this long, and I've never been gentle on any of my amps. :evil:

Does any one else have any amp longevity stories out there?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't build 'em like they used to... There's a reason for that whether it's a toaster or Amp. If they sell you something that lasts forever they loose money. They make far more if you have to buy new every 3 to 7 years.

God bless, she had a good run, and only $100 to fix the tone to love and desire is a small price. I'm jealous of your 4x15 cab too.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I bought my Peavey Bass MK IV brand new in 1983 it has seen an uncountable number of hours of use, powering a variety of cabs including use as a PA monitor poweramp. It has never given me a single problem. It still has the origional fuse in it !

I'll never part with it.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I have a Fender Bassman 100 head and cab,and it did see a lot of use without any problems.

Its not my main rig now so I won't be putting it to the test as much, but its still great to have around and look at. I love the silver-faced vintage look...

Anyways now I have a SVT-3 Pro, we'll see how that holds up.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Much like newer cars, I worry about some newer gear.

Older cars were not as efficient, powerful, or comfortable. However, give me a non-fuel injected auto with a manual transmission and I can most likely fix it (i.e., I looked under the hood of my 1976 Chevy and understood what everything did, whereas I looked under the hood of my 2000 Acura and had trouble finding the dipstick. :D ).

Same with some newer heads; I opened up my Eden WT-330, and looked at the guts in horror (even with the schematics). Whereas I opened up my old SVT head and was pretty confident I knew what was doing what.

That said, I would take the newer gear. I loved that Chevy Nova, but hey, progression is a good thing. :D

Archived