Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need advice on beginer equipment

Mordechai

Ok, I finally am receiving my Left Handed Fender Standard Jazz Bass Guitar from the store tomorrow morning.

Being Lefty, I really only have the choice of color when coming to bass guitars. I picked out a target price and they directed me to that guitar.

For an amp, I was directed to picking up the Fender Bassman 25. I am looking for a top of the line "Practice Amp". Nothing more. Is this a good choice?

I was suggested by some to also get a headphone amp. Is it really needed? If my Amp has a headphone jack, whould it be usefull?

Do I need a Volume pedal? If so, any suggestion on brands/models?

Do I need any Effect Pedals or would be a good additions? Which ones should I start off with?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amp is fine.

It has a headphone jack so you can practice without bothering anyone.

Hardly anyone uses a volume pedal, you don't need one.

And effects are not generally needed on the bass (although some people may argue with me) and a beginner certainly does not need any.

Good luck with your new instrument!

Welcome to the world of bass players!

The best advice I can give a fellow southpaw

who is just starting out:

Learn to play Right Handed.

So True.

Congrats on the new gear and welcome to the Lowdown! :wave:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I was suggested by some to also get a headphone amp. Is it really needed? If my Amp has a headphone jack, whould it be usefull?

Do I need a Volume pedal? If so, any suggestion on brands/models?

Do I need any Effect Pedals or would be a good additions? Which ones should I start off with?

a multi effects pedal (ME-50B) will do all of that...but as the others have said you don't need it! If you plan to buy a louder amp soon you _might_ consider just getting a headphones amp/multi effects pedal but all the cool knobs will stop you learning all the cool notes!

Other advice; get someone (a teacher) to show you the correct hand positions; learn chords (from the "lets get serious" thread on this forum or any music theory book; learn to read music.

So far I'm 1.5/3. Had some great advice when I started, can work out pieces from the music or chords (just not in real time)!

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Archived