Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can Anyone Recommend a Piezo Bridge with 16mm or 5/8" String Spacing

Jim T.

My short scale six will have 5/8" string spacing. According to my online mm to inches converter, that's a tad under 16mmm...

Can anyone turn me on to a piezo saddled bridge for a six string that'll be adjustable to between 15mm and 16mm?

Hipshot A go that close? I'm not sure I'm reading their online blueprint/spec.s page correctly.

Thanks.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oops. I should explain, I've been told that there is supposedly an aftermarket Piezo 6 string saddle set that'll retrofit onto a Hipshot A but I haven't been able to find it/verify online. Anyone know its name if it does indeed exist?

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

Check out Graphtech-- I used to be a dealer for them (dropped for business reasons, no reflection on the company), good quality stuff. They made narrow saddles as well as regular Fender width. I don't recall if the saddles could handle a 5/8" width but the tech measurements will be on their website.

The only 5/8" wide six string bass I've ever seen is the short-lived Epiphone Expert, which was a neck-through 6 string version of the EBM series. I have two, one fretted, one fretless.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I bought a FAAS graphtech system from Bob. I use them on a cheap fretless and now I'm using the TI acousticore strings with them. I use this bass alot on jazz gigs. I'd recommend them. If I'm not mistaken, graphtech offered saddles of two widths---one a direct replacement for the Fender saddles and shorter ones for multistring basses with closer string spacing. I believe Stew-Mac out of Athens, Ohio sells Graphtech stuff also.

Hi Bob and BSpangle,

Thanks guys!

Bob, regarding the 5/8" spacing-it's for my upcoming custom short scale.

I just found RNC online, too. Any idea how they compare with the Graphtechs?

I'll head over to Graphtech and Stew Mac's sites...

Jim

Edgar Watson Howe

I have been chatting with Lea at Graph Tech and I don't believe there is a solution for the Hipshot A type from them.

They are, however, working on an ABM solution for me. You can acquire the single string bridge assemblies and use what they are conjuring up. He indicated they ought to have working prototypes for me within the next 6 weeks or so.

There is also the Shadow piezo solution for ABMs, but I prefer the pre that Graph Tech has got.

My $.02

Just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the utility of what is not.

- Lao-tzu

It's what I make - it's what I play

bSpangle,

www.RMCpickup.com

(Sorry it took so long-been away on a trip.)

Edgar Watson Howe

Archived