Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tuning 5-String to DGCFA (and CGCFA)?

parachild

Greetings all.

I'm curious to get any thoughts on tuning a 5-string to DGCFA, which I will most often play in "drop C" to make it CGCFA. What sort of modifications will I need to make, if any?

Also, for this tuning, are there any suggestions on a 5-string purchase (price range: $1200-1800 new; hoping for $700-800 used)? I play mostly with a pick, do a lot of chords/power chords, some aggressive attacks/strumming. . .

Thanks; I'm looking forward to the responses.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Something like 55-75-95-120. But the type and brand of string affects tension just as much as the gauge.

REALLY??! The brand of strings affects tension?

I... I... did not know that.

Learn something new every day.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Forgot the top string. Try a 40 for the A.

Originally posted by Yogi:

REALLY??! The brand of strings affects tension?

It's down to the mass per unit length which is a function of material density (which depends on the steel and nickel alloys used) and the way the string is wound (i.e. how the diameters of the wrap and core wires make up the total diameter, including how closely packed they are). The feel also depends upon the stiffness which is related to how the string is wound.

But brand is just an oversimplification for the more detailed construction/material choice information.

Alex

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I believe a longer scale and/or string-through-body would help maintain tension.

Longer scale should, but string-through-body wouldn't make a difference unless it changed the scale-length.

Yes, basically, it's just standard 6-string guitar tuning, minus the 1st string, detuned a full step. I'm just used to this layout for building chords, based on previous guitar playing.

I'm detuning a full step to get most of the notes of a "low b" string while maintaining the feel of a "high b" string - sort of a mix of each option. At least, that's my theory.

get a bass with a 35+" scale. use a set of strings for a 5er with the high c instead of the low b(the tuning in standard would be eadgc). choose a thicker string gauge to help reduce the slack. the only problem i can see with this is possibly having to get the nut replaced to make up for the different string gauges(most 5er have the nut cut for a low b)

Archived