Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fretless Players and EBS users - Questions

Dr.Suess

Hi,

I bought my first fretless this week. Apparently, I bought a bass with mojo. Here is what I bought (got it from the Dudepit) Ill be putting in a J-Retro preamp.

http://xush.net/mywebpages/Xush Basses_files/funkafizer/funka.htm

My fretless is arriving next week. I don't really use effects. I am selling my Roland V-Bass as I never used it.

But for fretless many players use a bit of chorus and reverb. It was suggested I use EBS pedals. I was at the store today...holy $#@! they are expensive.

Any EBS users here? Are they worth the extra money? Anyone looking to sell any EBS pedals (yes- I am watching Ebay - no deals there today)

Fretless players - what do you use to color your sound if anything?

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, I don't use effects often myself. I do, however, have a couple of pedals.

I have an EBS MultiComp compressor -- it's an excellent pedal. Got it used from Bass NW. Very pleased.

I use chorus sometimes w/ my fretless -- I don't think it's necessary, but it can sound pretty friggin' sweet. I have a Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3, which I've been pleased with. I think the most beneficial feature (available on other brands as well) is that I can control the frequencies effected -- that is, I can add chorus to higher frequencies and not lower frequencies (low pass filter). To my ear, chorusing the true low end gets muddy, but sounds excellent on fretless in the middle and upper ranges.

The Boss pedal is more affordable than the EBS.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Nice looking bass!

Dude is a good guy to work with.

And Karl Hoyt is an excellent luthier.

Congratulations!

I have a lot of pedals, way too many, in fact.

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone1/pdlboard.jpg

The EBS pedals are wonderful pedals. The Octabass pedal is the best octave pedal around. And the BassIQ pedal has replaced all my other envelope filters (I own three others).

For bass chorusing, I use three pedals. One is the Boss bass chorus and that one pedal should do the job just fine. I also use the Boss CE-3 chorus for a second alternative. And on the end of the pedalboard there is a Boss Harmonist pedal. I use the "detune" setting which sounds something like chorusing without the oscillation.

Sometimes I use a little chorus...but to be honest, if you're starting out on fretless you should play it clean and work on your intonation.

Here's a great exercise that the great Ed Friedland espoused upon us in a Bass Player article:

In G Major:

http://www.benloy.com/fretless.jpg

Here it is in tab:

G------4-----5-----7------9-------11-------12----
D------------------------------------------------
A----5-----7-----9-----10------12-------14-------
E--3-----5-----7-----8------10-------12----------

G-------14-------16---
D---------------------
A----15-------17------
E-14-------15---------

This exercise will really help you get your intonation together, as well as help you learn the neck in general. Take it through all 12 keys for a real workout. You'll find it'll be much easier for you to play in tune after really listening to yourself playing this.

For added torture, record yourself playing this exercise on fretted, and then play along with it on fretless. You'll hear if you're out of tune right away.

Once you've got your intonation down, chorus away to your heart's content.

And that is indeed a REALLY nice bass. I'm drooling. :love:

Hey Doc,

First off, I'm insanely jealous of that bass! It's a beaut. :thu:

As for the pedals, Boss & DOD make good chorus pedals so save yourself some money there, but the EBS Octabass is king. I play a lot of fretless, but rarely use any effects.

The chorus is good for "hiding" intonation problems, though. :D:D

BTW, My kids love your books. :D

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

Oh my, what a pretty bass! Mr Hoyt is an excellent bass fisherman.

I have far too many pedals too!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nicola.kate.simpson/pedalboard.JPG

However, I tend to only use them with my fretted bass. The fretless stays pure and clean. I'd leave it that way for the moment - who needs chorus when you've got natural singing vibrato?

Maybe add a chorus later, but leave that until you can make the fretless speak on its own.

Alex

I like to add a touch of the lower octave on my fretless.

I use an EBS Octabass. And yes, I think it's worth the extra bucks. It tracks better than any other octave pedal I've used (although the suboctave in the SWR pre's seem to be pretty good).

Like SW, I use compression and chorus. I've tried the EBS pedals, and they are most definitely quality stuff; but on a budget I wouldn't say that it's the be-all-end-all. I use a Boss Bass Chorus; and an Electro-Harmonix Black Finger tube compressor. I've gotten some great compliments when I use the compressor's "Squash" mode and lamp setting with my fretless; occassionally sounds like a bit of a gated reverb.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

You guys are great. Keep the information coming. I really appreciate it. I have been playing for 10 years but this is my first fretless. I have prepared myself for the innotation issues and challenges. It is the finer points about equipment I generally lack. I'm embarrassingly niave when it comes to effects. I rarely use them.

Archived