Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: My first band rant

73 P Bass

I've been in the same band for the past year. The guy who started the band (guitarist / lead singer for most of the songs) bragged about how once we had a good demo, he'd be able to get us a gig, no problem.

So we recorded a demo, which I thought came out pretty good; got compliments on it from musician friends. We sent it out to all the clubs that he claimed we'd have "a gig in a week with this CD" and nothing!

When I was younger, and in bands, getting gigs meant going to the bars and stalking the manager / booking agent. Being married with three children, that is really not an option for me (the other two guys in the band are married with no kids). I believe everyone should work as a team, and I do what I can, sending out press packs, calling clubs, etc..., but obviously that's not enough.

Our drummer has called a club owner's cell twice but not left a message, or even tried during working hours! He's the most vocal about us needing some gigs.

Tonight at rehearsal, the guitarist was messing up every song. When I asked him if he had worked with any of our rehearsal recordings, he said "No, but maybe I should, I've got the time for it."

If you've got the time for it, than either do it or get your ass to a club and get us a gig!

There is a local bar we could play (for free), but that idea wasn't received well because we might have to learn a few more covers to fill the sets.

I'm working on our website (a responsibility I took last week). Tonight, I was given the third degree about its progress (I've started, but needed the actual promo shots to proceed, and I'm not that swift with this whole www. thing!)

But the cherry on top is the drive. On a good night it is only about 40 minutes each way, but they are working on the highway, and will be for the next 4 years between here and there. You never know when it'll be a hour and a half drive home after practice.

If I'm just going to jam with some guys, I'd rather do it in town.

Thanks for listening.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bummer, dude, i feel for ya

i say learn some easy covers and take the free bar gig, or is that not an option?

err, anyways, best of luck with the drama

piece :thu:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Definitely learn a few more songs (boo hoo whine whine) and take the gig. If no paying clients will take you than do the freebie for the exposure! Sounds like you should have a band meeting, definitely
In Skynyrd We Trust

getting gigs is indeed all about shoe leather. the best way to get gigs is to go to them. go to a club you want to play ALL the time. drink at the bar. eventually the staff will recognize you and you'll have a good shot at a gig. clubs/bars will do ANYTHING for a regular.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Be Patient...

Our guitarist/lead-singer/band-leader took our CD demo around for over a year, before he struck gold. Starting back in January, we became the house band for a really classy downtown blues and jazz club. We have a one year contract.

This took lots of shoe leather and patience. And now that we have this great gig as the house band for The G-Spot, gigs from other clubs now come to us.

I've long given up on the idea that the amount of effort put in by band members will ever be "fair". There will always be people that coast along on other people's hard work. Be philosophical, because it's unlikely to change any time soon.

If it's any consolation, I think once the gigs do start coming in you'll find your fellow band members more prepared to put in their share of effort. I've found in the past that if I'm prepared to put in more than my fair share to get a project off the ground (which I inevitably am) I can relax and take it a bit easier once things start to take off. People are not nervous about being dumped by a rehearsal band with 4 songs, but once you are a successful gigging band they usually want to demonstrate their enthusiasm to stay part of it.

Start your own band. All you have to do is get some gigs. Unfortunately, that's the hardest thing to do. You have to be obnoxious, persistant and not tell the whole truth sometimes. Just like any other salesman.

Get a gig that pays $50/man and you'll find all the musicians you need. Get enough of those gigs in a row, and you'll have yourself a band. Do that for a while and then try to get $60/man.

Even better, get gigs that pay $50/man and $100 to you. Then you're a band leader fer sure. If band members complain, tell them they can do the same thing if they want. If they still complain, sack them. You're the band leader after all.

No fair blaming the wife & kids either. Heck, make them find some gigs too :)

Another thing to do so far as wives are concerned; Save up the money you make playing and then use it to go on vacation with the whole family. Make it ubundantly clear where that $$ came from during this vacation.

Originally posted by Father Gino:

No fair blaming the wife & kids either. Heck, make them find some gigs too :)

:D:D:D

Thanks for the good laugh! I bet if I promised never to bring my kids near the club again, I'd surely get a gig!

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Archived