Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New bass on the horizon: another Nordstrand thread!

_Sweet Willie_

Will-looking more like a fish all the time-and a tasty one too! Yummy...

Oh, and add me to the smaller fretwire school as well...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, mes amis, what in the world should I play first upon my initial fingering of the Fish o' Luv? :confused:

Perhaps just every single note on the fingerboard... :idea:

Then again, I have some ideas. I do have a favorite line that I use regularly to test 5-strings that I pick up. Some of you have probably heard me praise this uber-groovy 5-string line.

Maybe something Bootsy from the James Brown years. Perhaps I'll have to express myself. The possibilities are endless! No matter what I play, I'm sure it'll herald in plenty of good times.

Whatever that first tune will be, it will have to be something with high quality karmic value. Not sure how to accomplish that, but I'm sure that somehow it can be done.

I'm open to suggestions as long as you realize that I might not act on any of them. :eek::D

Peace. :cool:

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Clear gloss finish in progress. Can you taste it? ;)

That walnut will be luvlii. Yes. Yes, it will. :cool:

Originally suggested by wraub the wise:

We need some kind of countdown clock for the Fish o' Luv's arrival...

Anyone?

Should arrive before Santa, but maybe not before the lighting of the first Hanukah candle. I'm not bold enough to set a "countdown clock". :)

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

0-9 with the fish clock! (Tempus Fishit?) Nice...

Willie-that is indeed a sweeeet new filet you have there! Taking finish very nicely.

I can't wait to let you let me play it. :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

That walnut will be luvlii. Yes. Yes, it will. :cool:

It reminds me of a walnut humidor I gave my dad one Father's Day many years ago. And he still has it, too, although he gave up cigars many years ago. Good wood is timeless!

:D

Originally posted by davebassman:

Gee whiz that walnut looks great Willie, but the neck's a bit thin isn't it? ;)

I changed my mind. Instead of a 5er, it'll be a 1-string. I was also always a fan of aluminum-necked basses... :eek::P;):D

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Maybe just go fretless? ;)

Yes.

With inlaid bronze fretlines.

I will use a tapewound string so as not to scratch up the fingerboard.

However, at the crux of the matter is the answer to this all-important question: Would I still be allowed to play with Cottonmouth DN with such an instrument?

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

1. Beautiful

2. Oh Yeah

3. CMDN will hand you a black bass, and while you are on stage, Avy will make the Nordstrand body into a coffee table top for Chris' (#6) den.

4. Since I don't know enough about wood, please explain the two directions of lines. It seems that there are clear lines going one way, and quilt/flame things going the other way. How was the the wood cut to do this?

5. Beautiful

6. Is it now officially a striped bass?

7. The better it looks, the longer it will take for Maury and I to let you try it.

8. Why is Maury behaving like a kid in a candy store - all these references to new basses and new amp rigs? Has a job change unleashed a beast?

This and more on "As the Tuning Peg Turns"

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

8. Why is Maury behaving like a kid in a candy store - all these references to new basses and new amp rigs? Has a job change unleashed a beast?

The beast was here before the new job. The new signing bonus didn't hurt, though. ;)

Anyhow, there will be a firesale soon. Most likely a lot of things will go: Avatar B212, SWR Workingman 15, SWR Bass 350, an ESP J-Five Fretless, a couple of 12-channel mixers, and some other nits and nats.

It'll only leave me with 6 basses (plus an unfinished project), an amp head, two pre/power racks, 4 cabinets (plus an unfinished project), one pedal board, one combo amp, a PA setup, a recording setup, two guitars, a guitar amp, and a couple of straggler power amps lying around.

Come on, I'm barely getting by. ;)

Now, if I had to do it all over, would I still have the same gear? Yup. ;) A couple of the things I'm selling I got for such a good price I couldn't NOT buy them and will probably turn a profit on them even after a lot of use. Except for that Avatar. Ugg. ;)

4. Since I don't know enough about wood, please explain the two directions of lines. It seems that there are clear lines going one way, and quilt/flame things going the other way. How was the the wood cut to do this?

Short answer: I don't know. :P

Long answer: I don't know. Ask Carey. Or Larry at Gallery Hardwoods, from whom Carey obtained the top. :P

6. Is it now officially a striped bass?

Sure. That works. :idea: PS: Maybe we should have a NYC-area LDL gathering relatively early in 2005. I could bring the FoL. I'm assuming I would have it by then. Whaddya think? :cool:

spreadluv

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Short answer: I don't know. :P

Long answer: I don't know. Ask Carey. Or Larry at Gallery Hardwoods, from whom Carey obtained the top.

It looks like the wood is 'flamed' like you more usually see with maple tops. And, like these Ken Smith basses, at (sorry about the lack of link, the bbs is getting upset about the parentheses in the hyperlink, it won't even let me put www in!) kensmithbasses.com/woodpages/tigermaple(w) ,the flame usually appears to run at 90 degrees to the grain. As wood is 3-D and a figured top is usually so flat and thin as to be effectively 2-D, you can cut the top from varied planes through the log to get the flame and grain running in various directions to each other (but never together, I think!) Nein?

Regardless, very nice indeed!

Alex

Archived