Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

good fender jazz basses

jimbojones

I know there are a million of these posts, but mine is a little different. I am interested in the Geddy Lee Jazz bass, for I have heard only great things about it (except for the neck adjustment). If you people arn't exagerating, this bass sounds incredible for the price. I've even heard of some people using it for gigs over a modulus flea bass. I have also tried the 1975 reissue american jazz bass, which I absolutely love.

3 QUESTIONS

- Is the american 75 better than the geddy lee? (i would imagine)

- should I save up for the american 75 (1300) or get the Geddy Lee (650)? (Your Opinion)

- are there any other fender jazz basses I should try? (I have already tried the aerodyne, but I am looking for a true jazz bass)

primus sucks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are going to spend 1300 on a mass produced Fender do yourself a favor and spend 1600 a get a Mike Lull Jazz.

Individually made in Seattle.. a great value compared to others private builders.He can build you want you want..I dont think he does the block inlays on his necks.

It will smoke the Fender in the craftmanship dept and sound just as good if not better.

( just my opinion )

www.danielprine.com

Jeremy C...

I recently priced the MV4 (passive 4 string jazz) with the dealers listed on Lull's site and the going price was/is 1625. plus fght.

Price includes case.

Again ...this a great value compared to Sadowsky, Lakland....

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by jluckie3:

how does one go about getting ahold of Mike Lull?

I'm not sure if he wants to be held. But you could probably ask him yourself if you call him. Check his website. The latest version of the internet is amazing. It comes with google. ;)

Originally posted by jimbojones:

My main question is; Is the 1975 american reissue jazz bass far more better than the geddy lee. In other words, is it worth it saving up the extra $$$.

That's a tough one. When I bought my GL, I A/B'd it against a MIA 1975 RI. I preferred the GL hands down. And the good news was that it was a little less than half the price. Of course, it could very well be that with a different model of each, I may have strongly preferred the MIA. Maybe, we'll never know, but certainly possible. So it would definitely be worth your while to do some more first-hand research. (Surely you can track one down somewhere in SF?)

Another one to look into is the Noel Redding model by Fender. I'm pretty sure it's made in Japan, and a 1962 RI; but I played one a couple years back that was great. Neck was smooth and fast; pickups sounded nice and full. Don't know that I've seen many around since then, though.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived