Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SWR Workingman's 8004 T/O/P amp

bassdrummer

Any comments on this amp?

SWR Workingman\'s 8004 amp

Looking good to me; hope I can find one to try out. Any experience with this or other Workingman series amps/combos? I'm looking for reliability as you will know after reading about my Carvin amp experiences in my other thread.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Tower of Power came through town in '01 Rocco was playing a prototype of his signature rig. He sounded absolutely amazing.

When I played the first T/O/P rig I saw at Mars (remember Mars?), that was a real disappoinment. I played What Is Hip? and the 16th notes came out very uneven, then the triplets of Credit were pitifully slow and unfunky.

Stupid amp... I wouldn't buy one. SWR could have done better. Maybe, if I try another one now, I would notice an improvement. :D

But seriously, well, uh, I can't really answer your question.

- Matt W.

I've had 2 different SWR amps, and I bought them both used. I have not had any reliability issues with either.

Getz is right though; for that cash you can get something really nice used (SM900 for instance).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I've been happy with my SWR 750x amplifier, and had no reliability issues what so ever. I agree with the others in saying that you might get more bang for your buck if you looked for a used pro-class head. A quick check at Ebay resulted with:

SM-900 @ $449,-

SM-900 @ $810,-

750x @ $650,-

SM-500 @ $127.50

Just a few examples of what you can get for around 800 buckaroos. Happy hunting :) !

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Archived