Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Geddy Lee Jazz vs. American Jazz

Tuomas

Hi. Im planing to buy a new bass, definitely jazz. I was thinking about Geddy Lee or American Jazz. I did search but it did no good because I know the specs of these two basses but they seem so similar and I dont know which one would be better. Many say that Geddy is good but many say that if you only have one bass it should be MIA Jazz. In which case should I take Geddy and in which case should I take MIA? Is either of these two basses just simply better choise?

Im sorry for this kind of topic, I know they are kind of annoying but the thing is I dont have the opportunity to test these basses so I need some advice, and I thought that you cant go wrong with Fender Jazz. And another reason is that you people just know so much more about electric basses that I know. (Sorry for my enklish, hope you get it) ;)

Thank you. :thu:

Don't eat yellow snow.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked my Geddy Lee jazz more than the American Fender Jazzes I played at Guitar Center.

Try 'em both out if you can. Make your decision based upon that. When you ask everyone the difference between two versions of the same instrument, you're going to get a million different opinions...none of which are as good as your opinion will be.

For what it is worth, I tried them both and chose the Geddy. In my opinion the quality was comparable, and the sound/tone was comparable. My conclusion was that the American was not worth the extra money. I also like the slimmer neck that is on the Geddy.

Of course, this was my conclusion, other conclusions my vary.

Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

I have an American Std. P, and the quality is quite good. I have seen and played the Japanese Fenders and they are quite good too.

One advantage of the U.S. bass is the new S-1 tone switch which changes the way the pickups are wired.

The hardware is nicer on the U.S. bass, but the badass II bridge is definitely a nice plus on the Geddy Lee model(nothing like a nice block of brass), but the U.S. model is string thru, so both have pretty good sustain (I have a badass bridge on my '73, but my '00 has slightly better sustain with the stock Fender string thru bridge ).

Tough choice without playing them.

Either way, you should be pretty happy.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

One difference you might not have considered, but I think is fairly major, is the thickness and finish of the necks. The Geddy Lee has a thinner neck (which is not my cup of tea, personally) and, at least the one I tried, had a decently thick finish on it. The American jazzes, on the other hand, have slightly bulkier necks (I like the feel better) and a thin satin finish, which I also prefer.

If you know your preferences as far as neck feel goes, that might be a good point to consider when pondering this decision.

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

With the acception of a custom shop Jazz. The Geddy is the only Jazz bass that fender has out now that sounds like "A JAZZ BASS". I got one a few months back and I'm still very happy with it. I actually recorded with it for the first time this week direct with my Sans Amp, and it was very even in all dynamics. Yet another reason to be happy with it. The other Jazz I was talking about was $1,400. Sounded great but, didn't feel that good. I got a set up on my Geddy the day after I got it. It's very comfortable. Go with the Geddy, cause not many of us can afford a 70's jazz bass in great condiation. hahahahaha. Let us know what happens!!

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Go with the Geddy Lee. My church has one, and I've compared the one at my nearest Guitar Center side-by side to every other bass they had in stock, including the American Jazz, and the Geddy Lee sounds and feels the best. I don't think the S-1 switching is that great on the American P's and J's. I think it's just an over-hyped, over-priced gimmick. Out of every bass in the world that he could have picked to play, Geddy Lee chose this one; I can see -- and hear -- and feel -- why he did! :cool:

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Thank you for answering.. I dont know yet. :confused:

I can see you guys like Geddy Lee alot, I should really think about that. But MIA Jazz is still good bass, ain't it? So that whatever I choose to do I get a decent bass, right? ;)

Don't eat yellow snow.

Hey, if you can try out an American Jazz and you fall in love with it, then by all means, buy it! Don't let a bunch of us Geddy Lovers talk you out of a bass you really want. :)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

My suggestion (if you have the money that is, and if you're ordering online from say...Musicians friend) is to buy both and play them both to find out which you like better. Then either send back or sell the one you dont like as much. or you could just keep both :D

one other thing that you might not have considered is the pickup placement, now i am not too up on my newer americans but i know that the bridge pup on j-basses made in the 70's is about an inch closer to the bridge than on similar basses from the sixties, thus giving it a great growl that is so signature for an instrument like that.

I'd go for the Geddy. Mostly because of economics, but because of that I'd be able to swap out the pickups for some Duncan Basslines Classic Jazz stacks, and get a spiffy pickguard to put on, like the one Lizzy Daymont has.

The few I've come across are quite good, but I'd have to tweak 'em to my taste. I like a little fret buzz when digging in, but enough clearance for slapping 'n popping.

As you can see in another thread I've just bought an MIA Jazz Reissue. I did consider the Geddy Lee, having heard great things about it here and elsewhere. Main reasons I went for the MIA reissue:

1. By the time you factor in shipping to the UK etc the percentage price differential alters. My MIA + shipping and taxes will cost £850. The GL would have cost £600 shipped. Looks like for you the GL will be half the price of a MIA. For me the differential was more like 40%.

2. I think the Limited Edition MIA Reissue will hold its price better in the UK. If I don't like it I can get most of my money back. I've already seen two of these basses sell for more than the new price on Ebay.

3. Most important from my perspective - I just prefer the looks (or maybe more precisely the image) of the Reissue. Purely personal of course. I'm not keen on black. The GL looks dramatic and great in a way, but with the black block inlays the overall vibe is more "rock'n'roll" than I feel comfortable with.

4. All other things being equal I'd prefer a non-signature bass, especially when as in this case I'm not a particular fan of the person signing the bass (I've never heard Geddy Lee to the best of my knowledge).

Most of these reasons are personal to me, and having tried neither bass I'm aware I could be making a mistake!! I still thought seriously about the GL and I think I'd have bought one if I liked its looks better.

Good luck with your choice.

I suppose I meant I've never knowingly heard him play. He obviously has a terrific reputation and I'm sure he's a great player but we all have our biases and I never seem to have been able to get up much enthusiasm for prog rock. Last year I bought quite a few albums by Yes, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Genesis on the basis that I might start to enjoy them if I listened a bit harder, but despite many hours of listening my response was never better than lukewarm. I know Rush are probably different from any of these bands but my understanding is they are in that kind of musical area that I just don't seem to get. :freak:

I own the bass you are considering as an alternative to the Geddy Lee - an American Fender Jazz (circa 2000). Let me assure you that it is a fantastic instrument! It is incredibly versatile - it always sounds and plays great, no matter what style of music. It is also very forgiving of poor room acoustics - more so than any other bass I've owned. As a performer, this is priceless. I can't imagine a better overall instrument for covering any style and venue.

Having said that, I recently tried a Geddy Lee and I totally fell in love with it - especially the feel of the neck!! I'm very seriously considering getting it in addition to my MIA.

So what's my point? Well, only that you can't go wrong with either bass! If I were in your shoes and had to choose one, I honestly don't know which one I'd pick because there is no "bad" choice. I would say that if money is an issue, go with the Geddy. If you like a thin, fast neck, go with the Geddy. If the extra $400 is not a big deal and you are indifferent about neck thickness, flip a coin!! :)

Good Luck!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Archived