Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

conversion

BigKahuna855

ok heres the picture. i have this guitar that isnt going to be used by anyone ever again. i was wondering if the neck for the guitar will work to make a short scale bass. im not sure if the fret spacing on the guitar will be correct if it is used for a bass(I.E. will "X note" still be the same fret of the same string as it is on a bass neck?).

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what guitar you have, but you are talking about something smaller than a short scale. Guitar scales tend to be in the 24-25" range. My short scale Gibson is 30.5". The Ashbory is the only thing I've ever heard of that is shorter (19").

The fret positions for intonation will be OK. Unless you are making a 6, you'll need a new nut and bridge and pickups. If you are making a 6, the spacing will be very tight.

You may want to put lighter gauge strings on it to make a piccolo bass or something else (Alex?).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

yeah, i know, but i didnt understand it because i dont know what a piccolo bass or any other thing they mentioned :D

besides, they didnt mention my concern with the neck anyway(when i posted)

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Archived