Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heading Connie's Way

Wally Malone

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wally!

That is exciting! Have you been here before, or will this be your first time in the Big Easy?

I will probably not be able to attend your gig :( because it's Jazz Fest time while you are here, and the place will be packed and it costs 35 bucks to get in, so I won't be able to get any of my buddies to come along with me!

But... if I can be helpful to you in any way while you and your Sweetie are here, please let me know. And if you have any moment to get together, I would love to.

We could meet in the Vieux Carre for cafe au lait, or you can come to my house for Gumbo or some spicy boiled crawfish! (if crawfish are in season)

Rock N Bowl is a blast! :thu: You are going to enjoy that. It's an old time bowling alley (upstairs), with a decent stage and lots of atmosphere. There is also a downstairs "big room" where there is another stage. The fellow named John who owns it/runs it, is super nice.

Any kind of info you need, please let me know. Feel free to email me directly. Just click on my zimshah@aol.com email link.

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Connie, in 1969 my wife and I played with a band called the Boogie Kings that played throughout Louisiana & Texas. We haven't gotten the whole schedule as to our flights yet. It would be great to get together over a cup of coffee if possible. The gumbo sounds great as well, haven't had crawfish since back then. I'll have to see how the schedule works out.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Connie, in 1969 my wife and I played with a band called the Boogie Kings that played throughout Louisiana & Texas.

Wally

You played with the Boogie Kings? That was a semi-legendary band out in my part of Texas (I don't know that they ever workin in Abilene, but we'd heard of them...). Who all was in the band?

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

Originally posted by Dave Martin:

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Connie, in 1969 my wife and I played with a band called the Boogie Kings that played throughout Louisiana & Texas.

Wally

You played with the Boogie Kings? That was a semi-legendary band out in my part of Texas (I don't know that they ever workin in Abilene, but we'd heard of them...). Who all was in the band?
The leader of the Boogie Kings at that time was a guitar player named Jack Hall. The bari player was Dan Silas, Joe Thomas on trumpet, Willie Trahan on tenor sax, John Morgan on organ. There were a couple of drummers, one was Bobby Ramiras (spelling) who ended up going on the road with Edgar Winter and the White Trash Band. He later was murdered in Chicago. We used to gig every Sunday in Galveston at the Bamboo Hut. There were two bands, the other had both Jerry LeCroix and Gigi Shinn. I know that after we left there Jerry did a stint with Rare Earth and Gigi sang with the band Chase. Jerry & Gigi had a bad tenor player named John Smith, I hear he's still down in that area. He was with the White Trash Band as well. During our time with the Boogie Kings there were two other singers, James Anderson from Beaumont and Little Alfred. We were only with the band for about six months and then left for California. It was a great band with a lot of good musicians. We met them in Boston at a club called the Downtown lounge and they asked us to come down to Louisiana and join the band.

Wally

Originally posted by Connie Z:

Hi Wally,

You two look WAY too young to have played in 1969! Must have been child prodegies! :D

What part of town will you be staying in?

... connie z

Connie, not sure yet , we haven't gotten the flight and room details yet. Soon as I find out I'll let you know.

Wally

Archived