Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I could use a little help...

reachjkh

This is a request for used strings for some kids I work with. If you don't like these types of threads, then move along...nothing to see here.

I'm working with some brand new baby musicians. I am attempting to help them get their instruments set up properly, give them some instruction, and guide them through some live music sets each week. I have some people who are going to set me up with some spare instruments to loan out to a couple of girls who don't have basses, but I could use odds and ends like strings. These kids don't know the diff between round or flat, but I do need a few spares for some newbie 4 string bassist.

If you would be willing to stick some used strings in an envelope for me, let me know and I'll send you my mailing address. I probably only need a set or two.

thanks for the self serving bandwidth.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the responses in my PM. If only one or two of you actually send me some strings, I should be set for a while.

To give just a bit more info about what I'm doing that caused me to ask...(long-winded from here on out)

I have been asked by my church(a rather small church) to coordinate our youth group's worship team.

I have one or two real musicians that are involved, but mostly I have beginner to advanced beginner players that have never played with other musicians before.

I give them free lessons and encourage them very early-on to get up on the stage and play.

We have a small PA but there is no budget for this so I've supplemented it with some of my own gear that I don't currently use(rack's, cases, mics, cables, soldering skills, etc.) to get it functioning a little more fully.

The better players carry the load of the music, and the weaker ones just participate to the level they are able without anyone else really hearing them(but it really stretches them, and it's good practice). The kids pick all the music, play all the instruments, run sound, lead the whole thing, and actually help roll cable at the end of the night.

I am encouraging as many girls as possible to get involved, and have 3 of them who want to play bass. One girl can't afford to buy an instrument so I found a man at our church who is going to buy a bass for me to loan to kids like her. As I get more instruments, I am going to be providing instruments on loan to the girls(and boys too) who really want to play, but cannot get an instrument to practice on. I just can't afford to keep them in strings and such as they break them. That's why I asked for some help from you all. In fact, last night one little gal asked me again where she could buy the "big" string at. She stole her big sister's bass from her and can't wait for her first lesson, but it's only got 3 strings.

Last night I had 7 kids on stage...

2 acoustic, bass, electric, percussion, 2 singers. We would have had keys, but I can't figure out why it's not making sound.

I have about 17 kids at various levels of beginner musicianship that I will be rotating in and out of the band from week to week. Several more want to play an instrument, but haven't got one yet. As I get more direct boxes and mic cables, I may actually let two or three bass players play at the same time etc. I have more girl singers than I know what to do with... :D

BTW they really sounded good last night. 20 minutes of warm up practice and they just jumped in and went for it.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Sorry :o

I should have mentioned that I'd be happy to pay postage to any of you who PM'ed me about this.

I'll go away now and let this thread die.

thanks,

Jeff

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Archived