Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The New: "What I'm listening to" thread.

davebrownbass

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jing Chi Haslip,Colluita and Robben Ford

Legend The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers

Sting Brand New Day

Gotta mix it up, once in a while :thu:

"The Blues is the Roots, and the rest is the Fruits"

Willie Dixon

TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes

Coming from someone who reviewed over 200 cds in the last 2 semesters, this is one of the best CDs of the past year, and indeed that I've ever heard. It's slightly experimental, driving beats, horns, and some of the most amazing vocals this side of Steely Dan, just aimed in a slightly different direction. Doo-wop style vocals and with some of the most bizarre and poetic lyrics I've ever heard. This is simply awesome.

Mike Doughty and Soul Coughing

Still one of the most underappreciated bands of all time. Doughty was the lead singer for Soul Coughing and has been doing some awesome acoustic "small rock" solo stuff. Soul Coughing still holds up awesomely and kufala.com just released 5 double disc live albums of theirs which I snapped up and which are incredible.

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

Chicago, "Hot Streets." Peter Cetera is amazing, and this album features an amazing thing...there's a cut with NO wind players!

Bread, "Manna."

Prince, "Musicology." The man understands the beat, by golly.

Phil Collins, "Hits." Okay, so he's a syrupy hits-makers. However, he's hired the greatest bass players around to record with....on this one album you'll hear Lee Sklar, Pino Pallidino and Nathan East...plus a couple of others.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

The Who, Who's Next ("deluxe ed" with some extra tunes on a second CD)

The Who Live At The Isle Of Wright

Hendrix First Rays of the New Rising Sun

Jefferson "Starship" live at BB King's NYC Holloween Show from 2000

Jefferson "Starship" live at the Bottom Line from like 2002.

I took my kids to see Jefferson Starship friday night-- but it is not what you think, so don't flame me till you read on.

Paul Kantner was one of the founders of Jefferson Airplane and he still tours sometimes with Marty Balin, apparently Jack don't come out with him any more and plays exclusively with Jorma (too bad, I like Jack with Paul a lot). Diana Mangano replaces Grace Slick (chick can siiiiiing!).

They played a bunch of Paul's science fiction type songs while the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey played on a screen in back of them. Most of the tunes were from one if their 1971 albums (Blows Against the Empire) and the "follow up" from like 1986 or so (Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra) and some Airplane stuff. None of the Mickey Thomas corporate rock stuff.

Anyway after the show the kids each got a CD they were selling, which were of live shows. The cool thing is that by sending in the ticket stubs (and $3 shipping and handling) we'll get a disk from the show we saw. It seems pretty cool to me anyway-- they played well that night, played a lot of my favorite songs as I loved both those albums and The kids will have a momento from their first concert.

They see Richie Havens in a couple of weeks, maybe the who at Madison Square Garden too.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Lots of The Hip.

I was in HMV the other week and they had a 3 for $30 sale (which would be about a buck fitty in USD).

Anyhoo, I picked up 3 Tragically Hip CD's that I'd always meant to get, but never got around to buying.

If you've never heard these guys, pick up any one of their CDs. "Road Apples", "Fully Completely" and "Up To Here" are PACKED with great music, and many of the tracks have been hit singles here in Canada.

Now they're in constant rotation in the Lincoln. Although, once it's fully pimped out, I'll have to play nothing but George Clinton or P.E. in that bad mutha.

-{m}- What's these knobs for?

http://www.martianrebel.com

Been listening to lots of stuff for setlists. But one of the songs is "Like a Stone" by Audioslave and I liked that one so I went out and bought it. Good stuff.

Also I recently discovered that on Frank Marino\'s Website You are able to stream ALL the tunes from ALL of his albums! so needless to say I've been practically living there! :D Check it out ya'll!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Of recent I've been revisiting Sade's Promise CD. So smooth. The bass work is really terrific, and I love Sade's voice.

I've also been enjoying some good ol' '70s jazz-funk on Spirit Man by keyboardist Weldon Irvine. (That righteous vibe helped me complete a draft of one of my dissertation chapters this morning. :thu: )

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I bought Weather Report's 8:30 this morning. I've been greatly enjoying it today. Jaco is certainly impressive, but I've got to give props to Wayne, who is blowing hard and well at this performance.

"A Remark You Made" is beautiful.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

at work:pop/country :evil: (argh!! no choice). classic rock station. :)

in the car:very best of motorhead(to purge the country from my mind.) :evil::thu::D

at home:sublime greatest hits/bob marley on l.p. (to calm me after motorhead and the drive home)

:cool::thu:

I heard Roberta Flack's "First time ever I saw your face". So simple but delicious, I love the interaction of female voice and bass w/o further instrumentation... :cool: You even forgive the old recording quality. Then My "Best of B Marley and the Wailers", Living Color "Time's up" and Sting's "Sacred Love", as I'll be attending this last concert soon. :thu:

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn"

Charlie Parker

just found a bunch of cds i thought i had lost

so now im going nuts with the:

stanley clarke- 'school days' and self titled

keller williams- 'laugh', 'home'

white stripes- 'elephant', 'white blood cells'

queens of the stone age- 'songs for the deaf'

chili peppers- 'BSSM'

faith no more- 'the real thing', 'king for a day...', and 'angel dust

charlie hunter quintet- 'right now move'

and that is definitely not all

shit i like doubled my cd collection

peace :thu:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Primus - Antipop

Forgot how good this was as i haven't listened to it in a while. Currently listening to ballad of bodacious, what a ridiculous tone but it sounds so good. Also listening to Tommy the Cat off Suck on this :thu::thu:

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

right now some django reinhardt, yeah he a 6 string player but he is so good especially as he can only use 2 fingers on his fretting hand

people that gifted just have to be listened to !

I'm currently listening to Poultry Of The Damned. Why aren't the rest of you doing the same?

'Cause I can't get it to load on any of my computers no matter what I try, Dammit! :cry:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

These have been floating in my itunes lately.

The Beta Band - Heroes to Zeroes

Sun Ra - Nothing is

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Segments from The complete Jack Johnson Session - Miles Davis

Giles, Giles, & Fripp - The Brondesberry tapes

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

I bought a very eclectic bunch of stuff the last time I was allowed near a record store:

Mahler - Symphony #1, Performed by the San Francisco Symphony.

Ostinato - A collection of early orchestral works featuring Jordi Savall on Viola DeGamba.

The O'Jays - Greatest Hits. :D

D'Angelo - Voodoo

Listening to the track murder by numbers by the police off of synchronicity. I just can't get my head around the difference in the rhythm between the vocal and the drums at the start :confused: Can anyone explain whats going on here?

Also just ordered D'angelo Voodoo due to reccomendations off the forum :thu:

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

lately, hmmmm... modest mouse (saw them live in portland last month! incredible show!) is still the object of my rabid obsession. but I heard some sonic youth the other day that just blew my mind... kim is smokin! I also heard Cooper temple clause for the first time, and they have an interesting, eclectic sound. primus is a newfound obsession too; I hadnt heard much of their stuff before but I knew les was at the top etc. But I really like their style. I got the DVD with all their videos on it, and its really cool. Lots of extra footage and bonus stuff. It was informative seeing how their music evolved throughout the years. I love discovering music for the first time!

James Fitzgerald

Platinum Member,

Human Race

"I dont buy toys. I buy tools."

Archived