Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What should I work on now?

prblack

Hi

I started playing the bass about 7 years ago. As soon as I plucked that first note it just felt like home to me.I learned most of the songs I play by ear or by just picking up from the other players. Over the last few months i've played at jams, gigs, and on demos. But I always fell i'm playing the same things. I feel I've reached a plateau with my playing and want to know what I'd should be working on to improve my playing? Scales.... ? Music theory? books...? DVD? There is so much to choose from! Where do I go from here? How do I get to the next level?

Pauline prblack@sympatico.ca :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It sounds like you should try listening to some different kinds of music. Try something that you're into, but challenges you musically. Push yourself to try something that's different from what you've done before. There's no set formula to getting better other than challenging yourself and pushing your current boundaries.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Hey,

one of the most valueable techniques I work on are scales. Scales are great for hand placement, finger placement, etc. Learn all your scales, and learn all the modes! It's great to have that ability when you are on the 6th in the Key of G and want to play a fill, you've got your hand positioning right there.

my $.02!

:thu:

www.geocities.com/nk_bass/enter.html

Still working on it...

Take some lessons!

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

When I felt that I had gotten what I could out of bass (stupidly after 2 years of playing, ha!), I decided that I would be different and play with my eyes closed. For some reason, after mastering the fretboard without looking, I then tried palm muting at the same time, and voula! I am now known as "dubs" because of the phat-ness I can get from using my whole forearm as a mute. For a taste of what I kinda sound like, check out Jamiroquai's "Drifting Along". I was playing that song, and on the low F# I knocked a painting off the wall. Ever since I have been progressing like I could've never imagined!

- Germain

.~.

Welcome !!

One thing you can do is spend all your free time here. It will help some, but not nearly as much as the other suggestions!

Yes - I'm being silly. Again, thanks for joining.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived