Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Disturbed looking for bassist

R.S.M

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, about 20 people I know went to this today.

Remember last year when Limp Bizkit used a Guitar Center promo to find a guitar player? Does anyone know if that panned out?

"For instance" is not proof.

Nope, Limp Bizkit ended up going with (I think) Snot's guitarist. I wonder why these bands try and find members this way. It makes kind of more sense (to me) to just find someone close that needs a gig. I mean, they have to know atleast ONE bassist.
In Skynyrd We Trust

Actually, the motive behind the Limp Bizkit thing, as far as I know, was that the auditionees had to sign a form before they started. The contract they signed said Limp Bizkit could use whatever they played in songs regardless of whether or not the guitarist became their new one. Sort of sad considering their first two albums weren't bad at all.

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

Remember when John Fruciante quit the Chili Peppers? The first name that popped into my head was "Dave Navarro". They auditioned a kazillion guitarist before they asked him. I thought "One Hot Minute" was a pretty good album. But then they parted ways; Dave RAWKED too hard.

R.S.M., if you auditioned and got the gig, would you pierce your face?

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Todays new task then is learning the three songs that are required by new applicants.

The Game-- Seems like good fun, all aggression, no substance

Believe -- Same synopsis

Liberate -- Wow, a pattern

I have heard liberate before, but that may be a fluke. There is interesting use of electronics usually at the beginning of a song, but more commonly in liberate.

These guys muting techniques almost sound computer influenced at times... Maybe thats just me.

Applicants are required to bring an 8x10 photo of themselves and a demo cd.

I suppose the picture is to determine if the kids will think your metal enough for disturbed.

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

R.S.M., if you auditioned and got the gig, would you pierce your face?

by 73

Im already a freek.My ears are pretty loaded down,And a few tattoo's .I would do the nose and eyebrow if it wasn't for work ,but i gotta look somewhat respectable for the day gig.

Rock-n-roll junkie

Originally posted by Mike F.:

I suppose the picture is to determine if the kids will think your metal enough for disturbed.

I'm kind of getting the impression that you are either being ironic or sarcastic...it's so mild that I can't tell which.

Does anyone see a problem with wanting someone to look right for a certain kind of band? In certain genres, the look is important, and I don't think anyone needs to be an apologist for it, nor do I think that it makes the music less legitimate.

On the flipside, I don't think that NOT caring about your appearance is indicative of one's dedication, skill, or integrity. There was a thread recently about a gig where the guitar player just wouldn't dress nicer than ripped up jeans and a T-shirt for a restaurant jazz gig. I believe, IIRC, this was fast becoming an unacceptable situation. So from a weekend jazz gig to Nu Metal to Stadium Roots Rock to Blues Clubs, the look is important.

Obviously, some people can rise above and become the 800 pound gorilla, but I doubt that even Lee Sklar could fit in with Kraftwerk, even if he wanted to ;) .

I am no fan of Disturbed, and I've met the lead singer...he's got some serious control issues. But for all of their shallowness and sameness (IMO), I don't think that requesting an 8X10 is something that is uncommon or a point for criticism.

But I do agree that doing a cattle call is a bit odd, especially when they travel in circles where personnel changes are a matter of course.

"For instance" is not proof.

There is "show" in showbusiness.

If you are looking to do music and make money, that means it is a job. For jobs, there are constraints.

Scenario 1

Disturbed says they want a new bass player. If Person X is an acceptable player, they want him to get inked up and get some hardware in his face. He needs to play big rigs and use black Fender guitars.

Scenario 2

Putz, Mutz, and Nutz LLP is a law firm. They want a new lawyer. If Person X is acceptable, they want him to be clean shaven, wear a suit, and remove any visible piercings for work. He needs to use appropriate language at all times and become a member of a country club.

Work is work, man.

Now, if you're not doing this for cash, that's a whole other story. No one is FORCING someone to audition for Disturbed. It's just a job.

I try not to play in band where image is above the music. However, I also will not play in a band where this is NO showmanship. If it's rock and roll, it's got to be entertaining. ;)

Obviously there is more to being in a band than "can you play?"

A bigger question is "can you hang?"

And of course people are looking for someone they want to hang with, with unfortunately probably means someone of a similar social group. I think the days of having people in a band with different backgrounds and interests is gone. Or did it ever exist?

Is it just me, or does it seem very, very obvious why these bands would hold cattle-call auditions? Two outcomes:

Outcome 1: they audition a mess of players, one of them works out. Meanwhile, the band's name is in the news.

Outcome 2: they audition a mess of players, none of them works out. Meanwhile, the band's name is in the news.

There's a constant here...

(I leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out why a major guitar store would be willing to host the auditions.)

Seeing as how many hours a day a band spends together off stage, the hang is easily the hardest part of being in a band. There is no shortage of players that can cut a particular gig.

The look is also important. If you are built like a pro-football lineman and everyone else in the band has that heroin chic thing going on, your chances of not getting the gig increase dramatically.

dcr,

You lost me. :D

(Any "Kids in the Hall" fans out there? Canada's best export next to bacon. :D )

Obviously a band like Disturbed, Limp Muffin, or other emo-pop-punk-post-hardcore-numetal-agro-hiphop bands love to see the names in lights.

Look at the target market (fan base).

And not for nothing, but the material isn't THAT challenging that you would need a top player. Cattle call is fine. I'm positive that half of the players on the forum could hang with that music. However, they do need someone who is willing and able to have various parts of their face poked, prodded, and sliced.

By no means is this a gig for someone like Anthony Jackson. He's overqualified. I heard about this last week from a friend at work. He told me that he saw the posting on the band's site, and maybe I should check it out.

My take? No thanks. I just got out of a project where I wasn't artistically satisfied. Why would I want to get into another? No thanks. Could I play this gig? Definitely. I know I'm good enough to play Disturbed's material. Do I want to go through some cattle call? Nope. Do I want to be told "You don't look metal enough"? Nope.

This whole thing reeks of the words "publicity stunt". If they wanted someone, they could find someone. They're looking for press, and all the while the nu metal thing is dying.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I went to the auditions in Chicago and it was definately a cattle call. There must have been somewhere close to 500 bassists there. I got there 3 hours early and there were still 40 in front of me.

I agree with Da Lady and Nicklab. This definately seems to be a promotional thing. The material isn't really that difficult. There has to be 100 bassists in Chicago alone that could look the part and play the material. Just doesn't make sense to me.

It was a cool experience though. Even with the chance being ever so slim, I had to give it a shot. No regrets on my 5 1/2 hours drive from Columbus.

is this why i haven't heard of disturbed in a while?

i actually dig disturbed. they're part of the "heavy throwback." they're not as good as system of a down but better than evanesence. kinda right in the middle there with godsmack.

and yeah, i'd pierce my face for that paycheck (lighten up zeronyne).

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived