Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stupidly ingenious or ingeniously stupid: innovative or not?

_Sweet Willie_

Originally posted by 57pbass:

...Kubicki X Factor basses.

I got to play Wally's Ex Factor last summer in California. I thought it sounded great and felt great -- but, of course, it was seasoned with all that great Malone Mojo ! :thu::D

CLICK HERE for more info about these cool basses!

However, I don't think they're for everyone.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to play with a guitarist who had a Kubicki in that pastel coral pink color that just screams '80s. Solid bass, seemed built like a tank, especially the bridge. Plus it sounded and played quite well (even without the Malone Mojo on top).

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Darryl Jones used a novatone bass with Sting in the '80s.

Those Lane Poor basses that used steps as frets looked like an interesting idea. Naturally I've never seen one down in these parts. Allan Woody had on in his monsterous collection.

Check out this puppy.

http://www.burrellguitars.com/spinner2.gif

From the Burrell Guitars Website:

The "Twisted-Neck" guitar that I invented (US Pat. No. 4,534,260 et al) anticipated the "Twisted Body," but it has taken several years for the opportunity to come along for me to develop it. The neck I invented is not really twisted, but "formed." The fretboard shape is described in my Patents as "skewed," meaning that no string is either parallel to or in the same plane as any other string. The purpose is to make the fretboard more playable while presenting a more relaxed wrist position.

My present invention, the "Twisted Body" is not really twisted either. The purpose of this new "Modern Guitar Body" is similar to the former invention in that, with its rolled down corners it fits more comfortably under the artists arm or in the artists lap. Another benefit is that the rich tones of the Burrell are comparable to the many fine guitars currently available. Only Violin style "Bass Bar" type braces support the Top and Back. The "stressed skin" construction creates its own support.

While my Neck invention is described as "skewed," my Body invention can be described as having a top and bottom that are "opposing parabola." They aren't crowned as in the Violin and other such instruments. Nor are they "arched." Rather, the top and back of the Burrell are opposing Parabola. The top parabola and the bottom parabola are not parallel; they are rotated from a center line through the instrument - the top having a focus parallel to a line from the left corner of the upper bout to the right corner of the lower bout, and the bottom having a focus parallel to a line from the right corner of the upper bout to the left corner of the lower bout. The foci will "center" at or near the sound hole. The term "parabola" only nearly describes the shape. Rather than a segment of a cylinder, they are a segment of a cone. This is because the radius at the upper bout is smaller than the radius at the lower bout. The top and back are radiused the same, but in opposing planes.

Great thread! You've motivated me to look back through my archives of old BP mags to find something that I always wondered about. Found it in a 96 issue.

Company: Biaxe Retrofits

Product: Fretless Wizard

Cost: $79.95

"Detachable, switchable retrofit that provides fretless sounds to fretted basses."

Mark

AccuGroove.com

• 1 year later...

Archived