Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modifying an Ibanez GSR200

bassdrummer

I was thinking about selling my Ibanez GSR200, but lately I've been interested in possibly keeping it and modifying it. What are some of your ideas as far as upgrades? Please list specific brand/model names (and approximate online prices, if possible) of pickups, bridge, strings, pots, tuners, bridges, straplocks, etc. It is a 4 string, jewel blue, agathis body with maple neck and rosewood fretboard, P/J pickup configuration, Vol/Vol/Tone knobs. What improvements could I make, say for about $400 or less? I'd want to keep it passive, and I don't want to do any extra routing; I want to keep it a P/J.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm.., The main reasons for modification is to either improve some aspect(s)or to make them different. I have messed around with the GSR200 a little bit and they seem fairly well built for their price point. Therefore, the usual mods like changing the tuners or bridge will probably not do much to improve what's there or noticably alter the sound of the instrument.

That leaves changeing out the pickups.You say that you do not want to install active electronics.This IMO limits the results that you will achieve, not that you won't be able to get a significant change in your sound, but that your choices do become a bit narrower.

You do not state what you are hoping to achieve here. But most folks seem to want to move in a general direction with pickup changes such as a hotter i.e. a fuller or more aggressive "rock" sound (DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans ['Hot' or 'Quarterpounders']these type of pups are usually 'overwound' humbucking style)or more "vintage" especially like the 60's model Fender sound (Seymour Duncan 'Antiquities', Lindy Fralin, Bill Lawerence)these are usually single coil and built to early specs.

People often remak on Bartolini's having a "dark" sound.I have had Barts' before but I traded them out. I really think that they need an active circuit to be their best and others I have talked to concur,however there are a great many models of Bart's and this advice most likely doesn't apply to them all. EMGs likewise.

There are a bunch of pickup manufacturers out there surf their sites and see what you think. Also let us know what you are shootin'for and we can be more helpful

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Sorry to hijack you're thread bassdrummer, but i had a question in mind that's similiar to yours so i though i'd chime in.

I'm thinking of modding my Ibanez SR300 with 2 humbucking pickups (i know that requires extra routing but if i go through with this i'll probably pay a luthier for that), a 2 band active eq (maybe an aquilar obp-1),new black hardware, and a maple fingerboard instead of the rosewood one. Now most of this stuff i'm pretty sure about except the fingerboard replacement.For this job, would an entire new neck have to be made or is it possible to remove the fingerboard and put in a new one?

If i do go through with this it won't happen for a while, but i know lots of people on the board know a lot about luthiery so i though i'd ask you guys before hand to know my options (and have a price estimate for the neck thing).

Thanks and sorry i couldn't be of any help bassdrummer, but good luck with your modifying endeavors.

Pick - You may want to do a price comparison between the cost of all the mods and the cost of basses in that price range, you may find something already built that meets your desires.

I think that the idea of replacing the fingerboard is going to cost far more than it's worth.

Also you will need to figure in the shipping costs of componets(if any) and the luthiery cost as well.

I'm not trying to discourage you but you should go into a project with open eyes.

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Hey guys ! I had an SR300DX two years ago. After selling it and searching in internet for good auction, I'd move to an SR800, and then to a SR885. I live in Argentina, the prices are more expensive than USA, the auctions are fewer, and I was unenployed by a year (without gov help); now my job give me around u$s6000/year.

With all those contras, finally I'v got my 78 P. I'm in the top of the hill, I have the low of the hell. No EMG no Bartos, no nothing. Simply the best. Simply THE BEAST.

Don't tweak, move a step up!

Originally posted by basshappi:

Hmmm.., The main reasons for modification is to either improve some aspect(s)or to make them different. I have messed around with the GSR200 a little bit and they seem fairly well built for their price point. Therefore, the usual mods like changing the tuners or bridge will probably not do much to improve what's there or noticably alter the sound of the instrument.

That leaves changeing out the pickups.You say that you do not want to install active electronics.This IMO limits the results that you will achieve, not that you won't be able to get a significant change in your sound, but that your choices do become a bit narrower.

You do not state what you are hoping to achieve here. But most folks seem to want to move in a general direction with pickup changes such as a hotter i.e. a fuller or more aggressive "rock" sound (DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans ['Hot' or 'Quarterpounders']these type of pups are usually 'overwound' humbucking style)or more "vintage" especially like the 60's model Fender sound (Seymour Duncan 'Antiquities', Lindy Fralin, Bill Lawerence)these are usually single coil and built to early specs.

People often remak on Bartolini's having a "dark" sound.I have had Barts' before but I traded them out. I really think that they need an active circuit to be their best and others I have talked to concur,however there are a great many models of Bart's and this advice most likely doesn't apply to them all. EMGs likewise.

There are a bunch of pickup manufacturers out there surf their sites and see what you think. Also let us know what you are shootin'for and we can be more helpful

Cheers

Thanks basshappi, I appreciate it. I'm going to look into those Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders. I've got my vintage sound already with my flatwound-strung Precision; so I'm wanting to get a more modern, rock tone on the Ibanez for a contrast. Say I did want to convert it over to active electronics -- any comments/info on that? Links would be great. Thanks.

--Rush, "Limelight"

Just checked out the S. Duncan site for the first time. I like that chart that they have for comparing the tone of their different pickups. The Quarter Pound for P and J are probably what I'm after for more clarity and high end to contrast with my warm, dark sounding standard MIM P bass/flatwounds. Next stop: DiMarzio. Any other suggestions? I am pretty ignorant when it comes to pickups. And what about strings? I know I want roundwounds to contrast my P's flatwounds. I've read good things on this forum about DR Highbeams in terms of longevity and sound. I have no idea which gauge to get, however. Again, I'm wanting to contrast the warmth and darkness of my Precision's Lakland Joe Osborn Medium Flatwounds. I want something with some "bite" or "edge" for my Ibanez.

--Rush, "Limelight"

Thanks for the links, basshappi.

From lowest to highest price, here's what I've looked into:

-DiMarzio DP126 P/J set, $89

-Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound for P-bass, $61; for Jazz bass, $65 (each sold separately)

-EMG P/J (active) set, $156

Any comments on these, or comparisons between them?

--Rush, "Limelight"

Hi bassdrummer...

So far I've had some experience with the SPB-3...comment: definitely great for providing solid low end...well, never tried to add a J pup coz of the cost and because I'm afraid to cut my 78 P. Well I mailed one of the editors in Bassplayer, I forgot the name, but when he reviewed an Ibanez bass with P/J quarterpounders (DAMN! still forgot the name!) he basically remarked that the sound was so versatile coz you could have the sound a P alongside a J with really an aggressive but manageable dynamics.

About the EMGs...I have them on by Ibanez TRB...EMGs are so quiet and cutting...they're ideal for studio work but don't expect vintage sounds coz they're sound is more modern. I once had a bass with Basslines phase 2 pups and comparing the performance, EMGs are quieter and more powerful...

I hope I helped...

Good luck in your modding endeavour...

Oh yeah,... I forgot to say this...

:D IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK!!!!!!!! :D

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

Thanks man...

Well for some of the guys who were wondering where I was for the past 5 months...well, I ended up doing field work and I just came back early March...

It's been a long period of "internet abstinence" but I managed...

Again...Good to be back!!! ;)

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

Originally posted by PickPunk:

I'm thinking of modding my Ibanez SR300 with 2 humbucking pickups (i know that requires extra routing...)

I wouldn't recommend switching to dual humbuckers - the extra routing isn't worthwhile and IMO you've already got the growliest fattest pickup arrangement of reverse P & J. A surprising amount of basses that appear to have dual humbuckers have actually got P & J type pickups under the covers.

a 2 band active eq (maybe an aquilar obp-1)

The OBP-1 is great but I'm not keen on the lack of treble cut. YMMV.

new black hardware

Will cost a packet...

and a maple fingerboard instead of the rosewood one.

Will cost even more. No way worth it for the relatively small change in tone.

Try dropping some decent P/J pickups in like EMG, SDs, Barts, (or the new kind on the block, Villex!) before you make any other changes. But before you do that, really listen to the bass unplugged and compare it to other unplugged basses. Does it have good acoustic tone?

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

The Quarter Pound for P and J are probably what I'm after for more clarity and high end to contrast with my warm, dark sounding standard MIM P bass/flatwounds. Next stop: DiMarzio. Any other suggestions?

The Quarter Pounders are a really rock pickup with snarly highs, not extended highs. I'd expect most DiMarzios to be along the same lines.

If you want a more hi-fi tone, with extended highs, accurate mids and tight bottom I'd consider EMGs, CB-series Barts, Villex, etc - basically either active pickups or lower output (and thus higher resonance) passive designs.

For strings, give 45-105 DR Highbeams a go - they're probably the most popular choice amongst pro players.

Alex

Thanx alex and basshappi (and sorry again i couldn't be of any help bassdrummer). I just realized that the Ibanez EDB600 has everything (aside from the maple board) that i wanted to change on the soundgear and more. I calculated the money i would need for all the mods, i'd actually be saving money buying the edb. Of course i still need to get the money first :P .

Peace

Archived