Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I fell in love with the Ampeg B100R Rocket Bass Combo Amp!

bassdrummer

The Ampeg Rocket Bass B100R. The Motown sound I've been looking for. The vintage sound and the vintage look. $499 new at Guitar Center. Plug in a Precision bass and play "My Girl." Then you'll understand. Incredibly loud for its 100 watt rating. I compared it side by side with the Ampeg BA115 ($449). The Rocket rocked it. Gain, Low, Low Mid, High Mid, and High EQ knobs. 3 preshape filters: Ultra Low, Mid, and High. The tone . . . oh, the tone . . .

It's more than GAS, my friends. It's love.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally wasn't that impressed.

I bought one in a package deal and flipped it on ebay. They do have resale value, though; $385 + shipping.

Relatively useless for rock and roll gigs with a drummer; the 100-watts is not enough to hang without PA support and there is no DI on the unit. It's also about 75 lbs., which makes it a relatively bulky for a large practice amp.

It didn't sound bad, but I thought it was a one-trick pony and I found enough other amps that can come very close to that sound and still get other sounds. It's also a lot of coin for such a beast.

Just my thoughts. I know others that LOVE their Rocket series.

Originally posted by getz76:

I know others that LOVE their Rocket series.

I have the 1x12 B50R -- 50W, <50 lbs.. I luv it. It's a great practice amp and great for accompanying low-volume instruments: e.g., acoustic guitar, piano, single electric guitar, percussionist. It doesn't hang so well w/ a full rock/funk ensemble, despite sounding surprisingly loud for its size.

Mine has a unbalanced line out, so maybe the B100R does as well, which will send a balanced signal w/ a TRS plug. It has worked well for me running an unbalanced line to a board into a PA.

I've found the 4-band EQ well-voiced, and the looks can't be beat -- those "chicken head" knobs, blue tolex, and the blue LED when it's on.

The B100R has a few extra features beyond the B50R, but I haven't played it.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by getz76:

I know others that LOVE their Rocket series.

Mine has a unbalanced line out, so maybe the B100R does as well, which will send a balanced signal w/ a TRS plug. It has worked well for me running an unbalanced line to a board into a PA.

At the biggest gig of my life (so far), the soundman (never had a soundman before), asked me if I had a DI. Befuddled, I replied, "ah, don't know?, got a line out." Angrily he snapped "then you need a DI!", went off in a huff and got one.

So, if you ever play at a club in greater Hartford, and the soundman is a longhaired Sammy Hagar wantabe in a black tank top, you might wish the "Rocket" has a DI.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Yes. No XLR out. But I will not be deterred. I will buy a direct box to satisfy the Sammy Hagar Soundman and all other soundmen for my stadium gigs. I will not be deterred. I will ride this one trick pony off into the sunset. It will usually be loud enough for what I will be doing. I am a drummer and I will not allow any other drummers who play with me to play too loud. They will learn to play soft enough so that my Rocket can hang without PA support. They will learn or they will LEAVE! No good too loud drummers! Bah! I will not be deterred. Must have the chicken head knobs and blue LED and Blue Diamond Tolex. Found one on eBay for less coin. I will not be deterred. The power of the Rocket compels me. The power of the Rocket compels me.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived