Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Power amps in the $300-$400 range for Acme Low B2's

bassdrummer

Slowly but surely my bass/V-Drums/P.A. rig is taking shape. I need to pick a power amp. I shall be buying Bumpcity's Ashdown RPM-1 John Entwistle preamp and an Acme Low B2 4 ohm cab. I will save for a second 4 ohm B2 for stereo P.A. or stereo V-Drums applications. My budget will allow for up to $400 for a power amp.

Here are some power amps I am looking into:

Peavey PV1500 $379

QSC RMX1450 $399

Behringer EP2500 $349

Nady XA1100 $299

Crown XLS402 $329

Carvin DCM1000 $359

Anything else out there that I should be aware of in that price range?

Any comments, positive or negative, about any of the amps listed above?

I've used the search feature and studied up on power amps, limiters, cooling fans, ohm loads, Peavey DDT, RMS, etc, etc. From what I understand about the Acme Low B2 cabs, I should be figuring on at least 500 watts per channel at 2 ohms for a pair of them in stereo and anywhere from 700 to 1500 watts 4 ohms bridged mono for one B2 cab. So that's what I've been basing my spec shopping on. Any guidance would be much appreciated as I am very new to the wide world of power amps!

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to add about the amps listed - and unfortunately, I can't think of any to add in your price range. I can, however, help with your criteria ...

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

From what I understand about the Acme Low B2 cabs, I should be figuring on at least 500 watts per channel at 2 ohms for a pair of them in stereo and anywhere from 700 to 1500 watts 4 ohms bridged mono for one B2 cab.

This may have been what you meant (typo?), but I just wanted to make sure you knew that if you're running two 4 ohm cabs on two separate channels, the total load across each output remains 4 ohms. So if you have two 4 ohm cabs, and run each from one of the "stereo" outputs on the amp, each output on the amp will see 4 ohms - and not 2 ohms.

I've always had excellent results with Crown, Crest, Stewart and QSC.

I currently use a QSC PLX3002 with my ACME cabs and it is been super so far.

If weight is not too big an issue for you, you should be able to find q very good selection of quality power amps at a reasonable price these days......

Peter Lufrano

www.TheAutophile.com

Behringer EP2500 $349

Nady XA1100 $299

i would not recommend them

Mackie has a division called tapco with resonable prices but i have not heard them personally

Rock-n-roll junkie

Add Mackie M1400 to that list. You might even get an M2600 for that if you're lucky which will maximise the output of the Acmes giving them about 800W each in stereo mode @ 4 ohms.

Likewise if you can stretch to the RMX 1850HD or RMX 2450 you'll have that bit extra headroom for little extra weight. There's a whole slew of RMX 2450's that have gone on ebay for about $400. That's a lot of amp for the money!

Look out for secondhand Acmes as well - I know someone on talkbass just bought a pair of Low-B2 Series 1 for $550 all in.

Alex

Originally posted by music-man:

Nothing to add about the amps listed - and unfortunately, I can't think of any to add in your price range. I can, however, help with your criteria ...

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

From what I understand about the Acme Low B2 cabs, I should be figuring on at least 500 watts per channel at 2 ohms for a pair of them in stereo and anywhere from 700 to 1500 watts 4 ohms bridged mono for one B2 cab.

This may have been what you meant (typo?), but I just wanted to make sure you knew that if you're running two 4 ohm cabs on two separate channels, the total load across each output remains 4 ohms. So if you have two 4 ohm cabs, and run each from one of the "stereo" outputs on the amp, each output on the amp will see 4 ohms - and not 2 ohms.
Thanks! I appreciate the correction! That makes sense, and I wasn't realizing that the amp would still see 4 ohms. Good point.

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by R.S.M:

Behringer EP2500 $349

Nady XA1100 $299

i would not recommend them

Why not? Poor workmanship, skimp on materials, bad customer service, bad reliability? Personal experience (negative) with these amps or brands? Just (very) curious.

--Rush, "Limelight"

there not the cleanest amps in the world they will work but those acme's would be getting poopoo power.think of it like this a sony stereo vs a kmart stereo both will play music but the sony will sound better.Cheaper parts used in construction of the 2.I own a beringer mixer, does the job, produces more noise doing the job compared to a mackie.
Rock-n-roll junkie

Archived