Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rock/Jazz/funk acoustic with orchestra!

Afro_Man

I play in a sorta RFJ band with 2 other guys, a drummer and a guitarist, and the other day we decided to turn some of our existing songs into acoustic songs, still with drums just really simplifed, we thought they sounded great so while throwing ideas around, i said that one of the songs we did would go really well with an orchestra, and now we've thought it through and are seriously considering getting one for possibly a special one off gig and/or some recording. I don't know what to do about the scoring for the orchestra, how is it usually done, i could get my music teacher to help me, but i was wondering if there is a usual way that works.

Cheers Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, this could end up costing you huge amounts of money.

But maybe it's possible.

Maybe your school music teacher will write the arrangements for nothing.

Maybe your school orchestra will be able to play the arrangements with a minimum of rehearsal.

Maybe you can find a cheap recording studio that has a main room big enough to hold the entire orchestra.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

That's why they have string section patches on most synthesizers these days.

Good luck!

What Jeremy said...

Plus...writing orchestrations is TOUGH! To make it sound like a cohesive whole, it has to be more than just whole note accompaning.

But if it gets too difficult, most school orchestras couldn't play it...so once again, you are in a pickle. It is quite difficult to write music that is just challenging enough to make them grow, but has "legs" for the kids (i.e...is fun enough to play that the kids will keep working.)

Of course, don't let me discourage you. Go for it. Somebody involved with the project will have good ideas, somebody will be able to put them together...and remember:

You learn a lot through failure. If the thing doesn't work...learn why it didn't work. That'll make it better for the next time.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived