Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Six String: Opinions?

Originally posted by Nicklab:

The pricing on the Czech Republic made Spectors is pretty good. If this is your first step into 6 string bass, it's a decent instrument to do it with. Who ever said that you couldn't get a good instrument on a budget? I'm just bummed to hear that you have to wait so long to get the color you want.

I've heard nothing but praise for the Spector "lo-end" instruments, so i'm pretty confident going for this.

The colour thing is a right pain in the ass, but I just KNOW if i jumped at one of the colours they have, i'd hate it within a month! It'll be worth the wait!

On the budget thang, was just responding to Grant, when he said you wouldn't get anything of quality for £400: personally, and this is no dig, i tend to worry very little about the amount the thing costs if it plays well, and this Spector, to me, plays like a dream!

I think it will take a time to "get used" to slapping on the thing, but the way i think about it, it will just take some extra concentration, which can be no bad thing for ones technique.

I'll keep you guys posted on the reply for the Spector guys!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been playing 14 years. 9 of which are on the 6. I use it for 85% of original music. I almost never bring it in for teaching. Not fair to the new students. I teach about 40 students a week from about age 11-65 and I have 2 6-string players. So many great points have been listed above about the 6 and I could repeat most of them. So I'll add just something else. With the mention of being able to have an extended range in a smaller region of the neck, I'd like to add this. I really dig how you have even more options on where to play the same excact note in the same exact register. The choice of possibly playing an "F" on the C string as opposed to the 10th on the G string are one of the things that make the 6-string great. A lighter sting, or less tension bearing fretted note making for differnt tone quality. Also, I know this sounds nerdy, but 2 more strings means twice the practice when it comes to drilling stuff. Sadistic as it sounds, I love the challenge mentally and physically.

Best of Luck

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Just had to chime in quickly. I bought my first 6 string over a month ago, and am loving it. I would've bought a 5 string version of it, but they didn't have one available, and I wasn't gonna pass up how this bass talked to me when I noodled around with it in the store.

I won't repeat everything mentioned above about chording, less position shifting, etc. It's all true and has been fun to discover.

After playing a 5 for so long, I'm still getting used to the C string, and have made some grand blunders (JAZZ NOTE!!) during some gigs. So I'm still getting a handle on this new critter.

Some guy looked at the stage before we started, saw the axes, all with 6 tuning pegs, and asked if we had a bass player. I thought that was funny.

For those of you still sittin' on the fence about getting one, go ahead and take the plunge. You'll overcome the obstacles and love it.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Damn, I thought I was over trying to decide between a 5 and a 6. I like my fretted 4 (EADG) Jazz for "jazz guitar style" chording.

I restrung my 5 EADGC for some extended range.

I have a fretless 6 that I love to play. Maybe I should dump the 5 and just go for a fretted 6 as well.

Why do I come here and read this stuff? :mad::freak::eek:

That's funny about the instruments on stage and being asked if there's a bass player cause of a 6-string bass. When I show up with a 6-string, it's a conversation piece. People usually assume that you are good because you have one. I think it's funny. Some day, maybe it won't be so novel to the non-players. I don't know if that matters though.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Hey Mike Bear,

I don't think it matters to any of the audiences I've played before. Most of them don't know the bass player from the guitar players anyway. They always came up and enthused on my guitar solos during breaks when I was playing my 5-string lined fretless. During sets they were out there dancing and carousing.

Seems like it's usually [would-be] musicians who have taken up the burden of worrying about this stuff ; }

Newbie poster, seasoned bassist. 4 string since the early 80's but bought a flamed red Carvin 6 back in 1997 with no real regrets. Man it really is a treat to go through all their options and order exactly what you want, then the anticipation...

Custom Carvin 6...$1300.00

Shipping.......... 25.00

Phone call........ 1.50

Opening the case for

the first time.... PRICELESS

At present, I (sadly) only own two basses, my Carvin and a Fender American Jazz 4 string, although I gig weekly and practice fairly regular....

Things I like: 1) The expanded possibilities available to the 6, already explained. 2) Frequent ooo's and aah's from wearing and jamming on this gorgeous Carvin beast - a definite ego boost not unlike riding a Harley or driving a 4x4 with enormous tires (for those of us in touch with our inner redneck)...

Things I don't like: 1) Left hand fatigue from switching between the 4 and 6 - it takes me several practices to be able to play for any extended length without my fret hand aching. 2) Losing my place on the strings - both hands. 3) Stinkin expensive strings for a 6. 4) Slap/pop more cumbersome on a 6, any way you slice it...

Nothing annoying here...yet...

Archived