Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tony Kanal of No Doubt

bassdrummer

This here is a Tony thread. What has always drawn me to the music of No Doubt is Tony's bass playing. I would like to hear any comments, info, trivia, criticisms, praise, etc. that you have to offer on Mr. Kanal.

For example:

-On which songs does he use drop D or other alternate tunings? (Bumpcity?)

-What kind of gear does he play -- and on which albums/songs (if you know)

-What are his personal influences?

-Which of his songs do you appreciate most, and why?

-????

:)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe Tony Kanal mostly plays a Yamaha BB series 4-string with P/J pickups. I believe I've also seen him play a 5-string Music Man Stinray, mostly on live tv appearances in support of the _Return of Saturn_ singles. He is also a G-K endorser, the G-K website claims he uses a GK800RB.

rocksynthman's avatar is about all I can notice when perusing these forums!

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

I've met Tont a few times, and I have played shows on the same bill as No Doubt in the early 90's at So Cal clubs like the Whisky, Club 369, etc.

I know from firsthand experience that Tony is an above average player that chooses to play what is appropriate for the song. Even 10 years ago he was a very precise player. While he is not a solo showboat, it takes a great deal of talent to propel a band the way he does, and put on a show at the same time. They were a very high energy ska based act in the old days, before being molded by the label.

Playing Ska bass is much like rockabilly. Less is more, as far as bass lines that truly work. It's all in the groove, which by the way hovers around 140-160 bpm.

Tony is also very involved in the business end of No Doubt. In many ways he is the band's leader. A very intelligent and nice person.

This reminds me of all the people who used to bag on Michael Anthony. It took people years to realize that the guy is a monster who is smart enough to play what's appropriate to hold the band together musically and propel it at the same time.

Never fault a bass player who does his job exceptionally well. Even Billy Sheehan will wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

True, in Ska, Rocksteady and Reggae, it's all in the groove. Less is actually more. No heroics and virtuso's while playing Reggae. Infact, I've met a number of Jazz or Funk superb bassists who just cannot get the feel or play Reggae even in all it's simplicity.

'Don't speak' is a good tune that Tony K played on.

I agree about Micheal Anthony and Tony. They are both great players who really know how to propel a song the right way.I'd rather hear that all day than Vic Wootens latest solo album,or whatever. I hear "Its My Life" or whatever it is on the radio once in a while and that song is catchy as hell with great drums and bass. It sounds like its from 1983 which is kind of why I like it.

I cringe every time I hear someone rip on M.A. I think he's great.Most of those songs,if you play anything more,it sucks. Cliff WIlliams too.

Originally posted by DONUT:

I hear "Its My Life" or whatever it is on the radio once in a while and that song is catchy as hell with great drums and bass. It sounds like its from 1983 which is kind of why I like it.

I might have missed the sarcasm, but you know it IS a remake of an early eighties tune, right? (Talk Talk, or somebody else with crimped hair?)

And I agree, Mike Anthony is an underrated bassist, and Tony's no slouch either.

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

I really like No Doubt, especially because of Tony.But they are all good musicians. I would have loved to have heard them in their earlier days.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Playing Ska bass is much like rockabilly. Less is more, as far as bass lines that truly work
Actually a lot of the ska type bassists seem to have a lot going on in their lines. Maybe not harmonically, but they aren't just thumpin' roots on straight eights... Probably one thing that attracted me to some of the second and third gen ska acts was the bass work.

Originally posted by bubbaupright:

I hear "Its My Life" or whatever it is on the radio once in a while and that song is catchy as hell with great drums and bass. It sounds like its from 1983 which is kind of why I like it.

I might have missed the sarcasm, but you know it IS a remake of an early eighties tune, right? (Talk Talk, or somebody else with crimped hair?)

And I agree, Mike Anthony is an underrated bassist, and Tony's no slouch either.

Brilliant version (it's my life), the bass even cuts through the crappy sound system in work. I don't know much more about the band, but he seems talented to me!

Originally posted by bubbaupright:

I had no idea. Thats cool.

GTRBass said it all for me. I put the Tragic Kingdom CD on every now and then and just plain groove out on Tony's work. The whole is better than the sum of its parts, but the parts are ALL good! They are the exception to the rule that US bands are just playing follow-the-hitmaker. In fact, it's time to play that CD again... :cool:

Originally posted by GTRBass:

Tony is also very involved in the business end of No Doubt. In many ways he is the band's leader. A very intelligent and nice person.

This reminds me of all the people who used to bag on Michael Anthony. It took people years to realize that the guy is a monster who is smart enough to play what's appropriate to hold the band together musically and propel it at the same time.

What's interesting is both these guys either now or at one time played/play Yamaha BB3000S basses.

Hey, I have a fretless one of those for sale right now! :) Anyone interested (PM me)? I hope I'm not spamming ... just savor the trivia I was able to contribute instead ... :o

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by geekgurl:

Originally posted by GTRBass:

What's interesting is both these guys either now or at one time played/play Yamaha BB3000S basses.

...just savor the trivia I was able to contribute... :o

Whoa -- sounds like some kind of cosmic connection with the Yamaha BB3000S . . .

Cool trivia! :thu:

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

My only complaint in my musical opportunities is that I was too young to play in a true ska band. For anyone who is usure of what a good ska band is, and what good ska is, check out early stuff from No Doubt, early O.C. Supertones, Insiderz, Mighty Mighty Baastones, and even some oldschool No FX had some punk/ska stuff going on.

The day ska died, so did my orange hair, bright shirts, spike bracelets, pants big enough to fit three of me in, and skanking (a form of dancing involving steps borrowed from swing dancing)

Rock on

Mark

Originally posted by The Guy:

My only complaint in my musical opportunities is that I was too young to play in a true ska band. For anyone who is usure of what a good ska band is, and what good ska is, check out early stuff from No Doubt, early O.C. Supertones, Insiderz, Mighty Mighty Baastones, and even some oldschool No FX had some punk/ska stuff going on.

I would have to say that those bands are good, but if you really want to hear some good ska bass playing, check out The Toasters out of NYC. And yes a lot of ska has really involved bass lines or should I say busy. Older "rock steady" ska has, I think, groovier bass lines and feel. A lot of 1-3-5 stuff but really swingin'. And whoever said it earlier in this thread, I've been playing Reggae for years and, less definately is more. Coming from funk-rock and punk background, it took me a while to "calm" my playing down. As far as No Doubt... Tony is now probably the best thing in that band since they've been a major signed band. In my opinion the original "No Doubt" album was there best.

Kyle

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

Come on guys, the ONLY TRUE reference pont for any Ska music must be from it's creators, The Skatellites out of Jamaica in the sixties/seventies. Some of them still tour, many are dead though. A superb band. Actually, the bassist plays an upright bass.

Go on Amazon and get yourself their original albums.

I`m with Tshak on this one. Like I said, I dig the old rock steady it's all like "oondount oondount oondount". You can't go wrong with that, in the pocket, early ska, skankin groove. Or with the sweet rim shot of a one drop. Definately gets your toes-a-tappin, I'll tell ya what. Yes I.

However, for the more modern type ska, I Feel that bass players for band like "The Toasters" and "Lets Go Bowling" or any of the Moon Records bands are more cutting edge.

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

Archived