Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long do you practice a day?

l Bad Religion l

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to get in 30 minutes a day during the week. At least once a week the band practices for somewhere between 2 and 6 hours.

15 minutes of warmup scales before gigs usually helps get me limbered up. And roughly 1 hour a week on stage.

not every day. :rolleyes:

usually between 15minutes to 2 hours when I do which is between 5 and 2 times a week.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Week nights, 45 min. to an hour, and I take the night after rehearsal off.

Weekend days, at least an hour a day, but nothing is carved in stone; if I want to play all day, I can, if I don't or I want to do something with my family, or something else, so be it. I don't stress out about it, because then it wouldn't be fun.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I will admit that I don't practice very much anymore. Once in a while I will pick up a bass and start working on something and about two hours later I will notice what time it is.

There were ten years or so when I practiced four to five hours a day. And most of that time I was gigging fours a night on top of that.

That was after I graduated from college with a degree in music. The college courses were a starting point for really getting serious.

I don't have a regular routine and am too variable. But I'd guess on average 2 - 3 hours but this could include up to 6 hours on a weekend day and nothing at all some days during the week.

It sounds a lot, but I have to compensate for taking up the instrument late in life and my enthusiasm for music being disproportionate to my talent. :mad::D

I practice for a minimum of 30 minutes a day, its not planned or anything it just happens, some days (usually the days when i have loads of work to do) i just walk around the house all day, just playing whatever i want. Actually im playing inbetween writing this.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

I've never been a dedidcated student. I just noodle around while watching the tele. I know I should knuckle down, but there's so much else to do...sometimes I pray that I'd lose my job so I can dedicate more time to music.

I also know that if I practised more, I'd be a better player! All in all, about 10 hours per week, with no structure or direction.

If I had to reverse it.... ouch.

I'd practice 4-5 hours a day and be on the internet about 45 minutes a day (roughly).

BUT, I do a lot of research for my thesis/class assignments online. I'd flunk out of graduate school.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

This thread is depressing me.

Let's kick it up a notch.

How many hours do you practice a day?

How many hours do you spend on the internet a day?

Now try to reverse those numbers.

Ouch! Okay, I'm gonna go into the other room and get my bass now.

Most of my practice is relegated to band practice lately. Time has been at a premium, and the material I've been playing lately hasn't been trying enough for me to need to practice much. Apartment living isn't very ammenable to practicing much, either. I think a headphone amp is in order.

When I DID practice on a regular basis, it could be anywhere from 1 hour to 6 hours. I was also doing 3-4 hour band practices and gigs on the order of 3-4 hours.

I noticed that I hit a playing plateau within the past 5 years. Probably since I'm not playing material that's really trying my that much in terms of technique. But, it's also after having done about 8 or so years of pretty intense practice, lessons and gigging. Basically, it leaves me with this question: do the people who've been playing 10 years or more practice that much on their own?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by bc:

It sounds a lot, but I have to compensate for taking up the instrument late in life and my enthusiasm for music being disproportionate to my talent. :mad::D

I usually practice 2 to 3 hours a day, up to six on some, having no kids and being self employed certainly helps with the time. Jeez, BC did you ever take the words out of my mouth. :D

JEREMY, I agree that my technique would certainly improve if I spent less time on the net, but you DBB, Nicklab, Benloy, Wraub, Bump, and of course Ed Friedland and the rest of the vets keep posting these gems about playing experiences, gear, WWLD :D and theoretical insights that us newbies(old newbie in my case) just cant stay away. Its just like practice anyway, THANKS. :thu:

"The Blues is the Roots, and the rest is the Fruits"

Willie Dixon

Personal, alone practice, I can barely work in an hour a day. That's because at least two days a week, I'm doing anywhere from 3 to 7 hours of band practice.

Of course, shopping for a house takes up pretty much all my spare time these days. :)

I practice about 2 and a half hours a day, every day, except for today. Studo maintenace. I used to practice 4 - 6 hours every day. I practice in front of two computer monitors, so I can do internet at the same time! :D

But I'm a guitar player. :wave:

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Well, this thread actually inspired me to practice this evening. It was 45 minutes of running through modal scales (2 octaves worth on 5 string) and arpeggios working from C to C as the key centers on the b-string. And you know what? I needed the practice, LOL! I think this is the start of a resurgence in my practice habits.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by Nicklab:

Well, this thread actually inspired me to practice this evening. It was 45 minutes of running through modal scales (2 octaves worth on 5 string) and arpeggios working from C to C as the key centers on the b-string. And you know what? I needed the practice, LOL! I think this is the start of a resurgence in my practice habits.

try doing some scales by going down the neck

i think just as important than how long you practice is what you get done during your practice time. Playing 4 hours a day is not necessarily practicing 4 hours a day.

I try to mix it up during the week depending on my time. I have an arrangement of Autumn Leaves for "solo bass" that I am trying to memorize. I am also going to break out the Simandl book, metronome and my fretles 6 and do some scale/position/time work.

I finally got Band-In-A-Box working again so I use that to practice "standards" melodies, walking and soloing. I mute the bass track.

I also like to play along with a CD, XM Radio, whatever to work on just playing a wide variety of tunes "by ear" so to speak.

Some days I get a lot done, some days I just play.

By myself: around 1-2 hours

With the Drummer:4 hours (three times a week)

With the band:5+ (this can be one day a week or more, depending who's going to be home)

I think this is a pretty good practicing schedule since i'm still in school (and have all the time in the world). I spend two hours on the computer every day (at the least). I think my internet and bass hours are almost equal.

As I've said elsewhere, I use a timer when I practice. So when I go to the bathroom or stop to get a drink or take a break for any reason, I pause the timer. You'd be surprised to find how much time you can waste. For me to get my 2:30 hrs in it sometimes takes me 4 hours. Bad time management.

I don't count time spent rehearsing with a band practice, as, for me, it's an entirely different dynamic. Practice I'm working on specific technical difficulties, or learning a specific thing, on my own, rather than learning a specific groove or tune with a group. But that's is just as valuable. Not putting it down by any means. In some cases it's much more valuable than spending time honing one's technique sans other group input.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I try and practice an hour everyday, I dont really practice scales anymore(yes I know I should). I generally work on new songs

I also have two different band rehearsals a week, each go for two hours.

lots of laying on the couch holding my bass, becoming one with the bass. I sometimes even do the Sienfeld bass part during Sienfeld

no beer until July 1

Originally posted by Radiohead:

Originally posted by Nicklab:

try doing some scales by going down the neck
Hey, this was just a re-start. Let me get my feet wet first.

Archived