Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

key center?

groovehead

Hi all. I am not new here, but I havent posted much or in a long time. I have however lurked quite frequently over the years. The expert advice on this forum has been a tremendous aid in my development as a musician. Thanks to all.

Now with that said, I would like a clarification on terms. In several of the "soloing" threads, many of you have mentioned that you find the "key center" and play whatever feels right from there.I think this is the same soloing technique I use, however I am not sure. If a progression is in the key of C for example, I will primarily choose notes from th C major scale for my solo. I do tend to play the changes as well, but will at times hang out in the upper register of the scale and ignore the changes all togethor. I assume that this is what is meant by finding the "Key Center" and going from there. The Key center seems to be just another way of saying to find the key of the song. If I am mistaken, please advise. I realize that terminology isnt the most important part of music, and the most important thing is that what I am doing works. However, I hate to think I am missing out on an important musical concept because I didnt ask for a clarification.

Thanks,

Groovehead.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key center is indeed the key of the song. Just remember that the root of the first chord of the tune is not always the key.

The most important thing is to know the changes though. Key centers, especially in jazz, will give you a false sense of security that you have a "safe zone" when soloing. You should know the changes.

"Doxy" as printed in the real book vol. II (illegal one)is a good example-- it's written in the key of Eb, but a solo can be played entirely in Bb(7) without regard to changes. The 'key center' is not necessarily the same as the key signature.

But BenLoy is right--you still should know the changes. :)

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

I've never taken classes in improv. So I'm not sure what the "standard" definition of "key center" is.

For me, though, the key center is the key that you build a solo around ... and it doesn't necessarily have to be the same key as the chords underneath it.

For example, let's say you're soloing over a vamp - between C and F. You could, of course, think about centering the solo on C, and following the change to F.

OR you might "center" the solo on Dm7 over both the C and F... when the vamp is in C, you're playing the root, the 9th, the 11th and the 13th of the chord; when the vamp changes to F, you'll be playing the root, 3rd, 5th, and 6th. (Not to mention all the passing tones that you throw in to spice it all up.) Which is way cooler than just playing the chords.

Now, to do this well, you obviously MUST know the changes, and be able to think through (or after a while, "feel") what key center will allow you to "blow" over the top of the changes in a way that is interesting and appropriate for the tune.

Archived