Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V Bass

TuckLM

I've looked at some of the old threads about the V Bass and noticed that there hasn't been any recent discussions about it. I'm wondering how some of you who have lived with it for a while feel about it now.

How has it held up? Does it fulfill the promise? Now that the honeymoon's over...

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kicks ass. I feel the same about it now as I did when I got it. Not every bit of design is perfect, but nothing else ads up as well in toto.

If you don't learn to design your own patches it is largely wasted though, as a live performance tool. If you have a good bass to drive it with and make use of its sounds too you can get incredible variety out of just one patch (actually you can anyway, but this really ups the ante).

Mine goes straight to my power amp, nothing else needed.

I did some product demos for Roland at some stores in NY (Manny's) in NJ (Victors) last year. I have also used it for live performances with my band.

Here is the breakdown:

1. Tracking: There are no issues. Even if I am using a preset that is 100% V-Bass, it "feels" perfect.

2. Sounds: The factory presets really need to be tweeked for real-world practical live-performance situations. The presets sound great in my living room, but I adjusted presets for live performance to cut through the mix better. I acheived this by a) Creating a blend between the magnetic pickup(s) and the V-pickup and/or b) stripping away effects like reverb and compression, and/or c) adjusting EQ for more mids.

The results at gigs were great! Audience and band memebers were in dis-belief that the tone was V-bass (even at 100% V).

If anyone wants some of the presets I came up with email me at colortone@earthlink.net.

Zum

Archived