Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacing a pre-amp tube

73 P Bass

Is there any value in doing this? I have a SWR 350 that is rather long in the tooth, will I find any improvement in tone by replacing the pre-amp tube, and how difficult is it?

While we are at it, is there anything else I should do if I have the chassis apart (ie blow out gently with compressed air)?

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's not an important piece of your gigging rig, why not. It never hurts to blow the dust out, check the sockets, a little contact cleaner in the right spot might just give you something useable as a backup, or just reseat the tubes, it removes oxidization from pins. :)

OF COURSE DO THIS WITH UNIT UNPLUGGED FROM POWER!! :idea:

I know your not stupid, I do this for a living, I assume nothing.

Good Luck :thu:

"The Blues is the Roots, and the rest is the Fruits"

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by   :

My experience with SWR preamps is that the tube doesn't seem to make much of a difference. So if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it; that's just an expense.

What GB said. Generally speaking, the tubes that SWR uses in their preamps are matched to the circuit in which they are installed. Replacing it with something else will be highly unpredictable.

NOTE: if you were listening to Zappa Radio on www.zappa.com you could be listening to 'Whippin Post' like I am right now.

I seem to remember PJR saying that he replaced the tube on his Mo Bass. It took a bit of work, but I dug up two threads, one of which includes the supplier that he used.

Here is the "why I changed it" thread

Here is the thread with a supplier

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks Tom, I had dug up that thread (or part of it) and was looking for a little more info.

From the sounds of the replys, and the complete link you supplied me, I'm gonna go with it ain't broke, so leave it alone!

Maybe I'll clean the pots! :thu:

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by Tom Capasso (Zarkov):

I seem to remember PJR saying that he replaced the tube on his Mo Bass. It took a bit of work, but I dug up two threads, one of which includes the supplier that he used.

Here is the "why I changed it" thread

Here is the thread with a supplier

Tom

Wow Tom......you remember everything eh ??

Yes I did change out the single 12ax7 in my MoBass.

In short....I felt it smoothed out the frequencies a bit...seemed much less sterile to my ears.

Was it worth the 100 bucks for the Telefunken ?? Thats up to you....it was for me.

PJR

• 3 months later...

Archived