Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

gosh darn that g string

BigKahuna855

yes, i know i will probably get flamed for this, but it is a serious question. ive been having problems with my g string, it keeps popping out of the nut when im playing. i have no idea why it does this, as it had never done this up until a few weeks ago. flame all you want, but could someone actually give me some real advice?

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BigKahuna855:

yes, i know i will probably get flamed for this, but it is a serious question. ive been having problems with my g string, it keeps popping out of the nut when im playing. i have no idea why it does this, as it had never done this up until a few weeks ago. flame all you want, but could someone actually give me some real advice?

Did you recently change strings?

If so, are they a different guage?

If not a different guage, how is the break-angle of the string over the nut (slope towards the tuner on the headstock).

Check your nut, see if the slot is clear.

Not exactly on topic, but related to your concerns, I think:

I got some interesting reactions when I explained to the guys at rehearsal that I couldn't play my P-Bass cause I popped my nut when tightening an oversized g-string.

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

If I wind my G string too high this happens on my M5; but it pulls off the fretboard entirely around the 4th fret or so. What you need to do is unwind the string some and hold it down as you are winding it up on the peg. Keep the string as low as possible while winding it up and it will fix this problem. The tension on the nut is what is essential here.

Bump, does it matter how long the string is past the nut, would this have any effect on tension? It's just I've recently changed my strings and the time before I cut too much off the end. The string was hell to get on. This time I left loads of excess...and I'm just curious if this would be bad for my bass?

Thanks, Cup

Too many windings is better than too few. The worst thing that happens with too many is that it looks awkward and a little sloppy.
For sale: 1992 or 1993 Carvin LB20F fretless 4-string with lines. Black with black hardware. Good player, fair amount of wear. $250 shipped.

When I say "winding" I mean the wraps around the tuning machine's shaft, not the wrappings on the string itself.
For sale: 1992 or 1993 Carvin LB20F fretless 4-string with lines. Black with black hardware. Good player, fair amount of wear. $250 shipped.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

If I wind my G string too high this happens on my M5; but it pulls off the fretboard entirely around the 4th fret or so. ... The tension on the nut is what is essential here.

I concur w/ his Bumpness: Tension on the nut = good thing. :thu:

No shame in your game, justinruins. I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones whose minds went to 5th grade level humor and g-string/nut jokes. ;):D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived