Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dunlop "65" string cleaner?

40hertz

....happy new year everyone...nice to be back at this great forum...

well,does anyone use the Dunlop 65 string cleaner/conditioner for his/her bass?

any opinions?

can it hurt a fingerboard after continous use(after gigs,e.t.c.)?

thanks a lot.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used it on and off for about a year on most strings I've installed in that time period.

I can't say that there is a significant, palpable difference to my ears or hands. I am not a frequent string changer and I don't have oily/sweaty hands, and so cannot remark on any change in string life.

So I guess that's a definite maybe. Or as some might say, "It couldn't hurt!" and it's cheap enough to try. But I wouldn't expect anything dramatic, at least based on my experience.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Lemon oil. Besides protecting and nourishing the wood it serves as a good cleanup for strings without leaving residue. Cheap enough to spill a bottle and not sweat over it.

If my strings are really grungy, I pull them off and boil them in water with baking soda for 5-10 minutes, then dry them off with towels/hair dryer and use the lemon oil to wipe off the particles.

Pure-grain alcohol (190 proof) also serves as a good cleaner, but I don't recommend drinking it.

Both of the first two products have other practical uses and are environment-friendly. The third is up to your discretion, but don't drive or operate heavy machinery with it. :D

I'm not much of a fan of store-bought specialty products.

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

I'm not much of a fan of store-bought specialty products.

may i ask why?

personally i think Dunlop is a well known company and they would not sell a product that is a placebo or something like that...

perhaps you mean you can find something similar for a lower price,without paying for a brand name.

personally i feel safer knowing that i use a widely used product.that is why i asked for opinions on the "65 string cleaner-conditioner".

http://www.jimdunlop.com/site/products/maintenance/ultraglide/images/intro.jpg

Archived