Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

question: adding preamp to boost effects loop

orphan wells

I had a post a few weeks ago about running my BP200 through the effects loop of my Grand Prix. Some lowdowners informed me that the effects loop of the Grand Prix needs a line level, or more signal than the BP200 can provide. The question is: what if I put an outboard preamp in the path between the output of the BP200 and the return of the effect loop? Would that give me enough signal? Is this even worth looking into? Thanks.
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the BP200 well and haven't downloaded the manual. But the BP-8 had an input gain to match the bass or loop siganl levl coming in, and an output gain that could match anything from a head or preamp input to any effects loop, and could even drive a power amp that expects to see fairly high voltage.

Most devices I've bought of this type have something similar physically or under software control, or a switch that goes between instument level, -10 dBV and +4 dBu.

Or, the effects loops themselves may have switchable levels.

Also look at the way your preamp section is set up (good manuals supply simple schematic flow charts). In many, the post gain knob drives the effects loop and it can be used to match at one end.

I don't see how putting the DigiTech into the effects loop makes hooking your rig up any easier. You still will need two long cables to run from your rig to the BP200 and back, if you have a rackmount wireless reciever (which I suspect you do).

Just run a cable from the output of the wireless reciever to the BP200, and then run a cable back to the instrument input on your Grand Prix.

Originally posted by greenboy:

I don't know the BP200 well and haven't downloaded the manual. But the BP-8 had an input gain to match the bass or loop siganl levl coming in, and an output gain that could match anything from a head or preamp input to any effects loop, and could even drive a power amp that expects to see fairly high voltage.

Yet another good argument for getting the BP8. (It's also the best practice companion I've ever had.) I'd stay rather than fiddling withe BP200 any further, sell it on eBay & put your dollars towards a BP8 (which don't go for that much more than the BP200 on eBay, actually). Done.

Yeah, any good wireless reciever shouold have an output level adjustment, and then the BP200, and then make sure the Grand Prix input trim / pregain is adjusted to the BP200 output level. As the boys have pointed out, you end up not having to use another long cable - not that it matters min terms of fidelity if the cables are good ones - but it does make setup and stage floor issues nicer.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I don't see how putting the DigiTech into the effects loop makes hooking your rig up any easier. You still will need two long cables to run from your rig to the BP200 and back, if you have a rackmount wireless reciever (which I suspect you do).

Just run a cable from the output of the wireless reciever to the BP200, and then run a cable back to the instrument input on your Grand Prix.

not if he has the new samson "bass bug", the recver is like a pedal, and it works off a niner.

I'm not familiar with the Grand Prix, but if you have a "Power Amp" jack on the Grand Prix, run the BP200 into that.

When I ran my 200 into the instrument input on my Peavey head, the volume and power are there, but sound quality isn't good, as the head preamp fights it and colors the sound in an unfavorable way, even with everything set flat on the head. I tried the 200 in the effects loop, and it just didn't get much volume. I ran the 200 into the "Power Amp" input jack (thereby bypassing the heads' preamp) and it works killer good!

Also just picked up a Stewart 1.2 power amp, and the BP200 works great thru there, too.

So if there is a power amp input jack on the Grand Prix, try that. The BP200 output seems to have a strong output.

Hope that helps a little.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Archived