Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What a Difference a String Change Makes

John W.

I recently bought a 2003 Fender Highway 1 P-Bass. It sounded horrible with the stock roundwounds (horrible because I was searching for the "old-school" Tommy Cogbill, Jamerson thump.) I put some TI flats on it, much better, although the g at 3rd fret was a bit weak on my home amp, ok on my gigging amp. The Thomastics are loose feeling strings, so I put a set of Lakland Joe Osborn's--a bit thicker and thumpier and boom!--low g is right there where it should be, and all the notes down in the business zone sound pretty even. The bass now takes me to the place I wanted to go--think Cogbill with King Curtis on the original "Memphis Soul Stew", or Jamerson with the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band "90 Day Cycle People"--damn I'm having fun!--gotta go...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was that Cogbill with King Curtis? Wow, I always liked that a LOT back when I was a horn player. Cool that you found the right type of string for the tunes.

TI "flats" are really a hybrid design; in many ways they shouldn't even get discussed with standard traditional-design flatwounds. But then, a lot of people don't know what do do with ground-wound or compressed-wound strings either. I guess two categories max are about all the market can bear ; }

Yeah I have the Fillmore West one - or did - before some of my vinyl was taken in a storage unit hiest. Now I just have a tape I made way back when to listen to in the van. But I thought that was jumpin' Jerry Jemmott, whose style I really like too.

I recall that King Curtis was murdered a week or two after the Fillmore West Live album was released.

I was just wondering about this same topic -- string changing -- as I just received a used MIM P-bass via eBay. I too am wanting the "Jamerson thump" and am wondering what brand/type of strings I should go with. I've never bought bass strings and am very bewildered about it all!

Not sure if this is on topic, but I noticed that when I play a C on the G string (5th fret) it sounds really weak compared to other notes on that same string. Is this a string issue or a neck issue or what?

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

JeremyC writes, "Pretty soon you'll be taking away all my funk gigs."

Ha ha--NOT!!

Seriously, Jeremy, I've been in the string bass only, jazz gig, backing singers worlds for so long, I'd have to do a long apprenticeship in R&B, soul, pop, rock, funk, etc , as well as learn how to play the instrument adequately, before my phone starts ringing for the bass guitar.

I'm looking forward to the hang in January.

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

Not sure if this is on topic, but I noticed that when I play a C on the G string (5th fret) it sounds really weak compared to other notes on that same string. Is this a string issue or a neck issue or what?

Ah, the infamous deadspot...

It's a product of the resonant frequency of the headstock/neck/strings/neck-joint system being very close to one/some of the dominant harmonics (possibly the fundamental) of the notes around that area; i.e. the vibrations in the neck cancel out some of the vibrations in the string.

Most basses suffer from deadspots somewhere, usually in this C on the G-string area. Changing strings can help reduce or move the deadspot, as can adjusting the trussrod or adding some mass to the headstock.

Alex

Reply to Bassdrummer,

This is a hot topic on another board right now; quite a few folks claimed they attained this sound on their P-Bass using the GHS Flatwounds. My new-found success comes with Lakland Joe Osborn light gauge Flats (which feel substantially heavier than my previous Thomastic Infeld Flats.) I hear that GHS manufactures the Joe Osborns and that they are similar--this I don't know for sure. I do know that this change of string strengthened a weak note at 3rd fret on the E string. Your G string situation is one I've heard is common to Fender Basses, but I'm ignorant on the subject.

Here is where I just found the Lakland Joe Osbourn strings on the net:

Joe Osbourn signature strings

Thanks for the tip, guys. Next question: light or medium gauge?

Light: 40,60,80,102. Medium: 45, 65,85,106

What does that mean -- how thick the strings are, right? How do they compare in sound and feel?

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm gonna order a set of Joe Osborn's now. I've always been a fan of his sound, and I'm gonna give these a try. I have a set of Fender flatwounds on one of my jazz basses, and they're just too darn bright. Hopefully these will sound better.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived