Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my new bass, part 2

BigKahuna855

i just got my pictures back and the ones of the bass came out :D but i dont know how to post pictures in this forum :( can someone tell me how to do it?

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once you have the pictures (jpg, gif or PNG) into the computer, you have to upload it onto a web server and then link to it using the "image" button when posting a message.

If the text above gibberish to you, you can email me the pics and I'll be happy to put them up for you. zero@chemist.com

"For instance" is not proof.

that metallic purple finish is pretty sweet.

now, if only they made this bass:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/models/EDC710CBF.jpg

with this finish:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/models/EDA905FOF.jpg

then i would more interested. as it is, i'm loving this one:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/models/BTB510EWNF.jpg

robb.

Awesome axe!! :thu: What year is that one?? my brother has a 96~97 EDB 400 in jewel blue (a little more blue than that and a little less purple) but the new ones are only made in black and white so for cool colours you have to get a second hand edb.

Originally posted by Invincible:

Originally posted by Mr M Pulsive:

Ibanez BTB.

Is it not an EDB600?
Could be.. as I said, I don't really get into Ibanez instruments. From what I've seen it looks like a BTB, but maybe the EDB looks similar... I dunno.
...simply stating.

The third one down is a BTB. If you squinty up your eyes and look up real close at the head stock you can see the BTB logo.

I like the looks of these basses too but because they're Ibanez I've been kinda wary of considering one.

"Remember this son, No matter how hard you try there is always someone better than you......"

GB, I'm not quite sure how to take your post, but since it seems I'm one of the only ones who wasn't enthusiastic while posting in the thread that maybe you're comments are directed at me.

I said they didn't interest me. ...in the same way that singlecut Benevente's don't interest me. They simply don't appeal to me. It has nothing to do with quality or value.

I hope I just took your posts the wrong way... in any case, I'm going to assume that's the case.

:thu:

-Mike

...simply stating.

If it was directed at me then Perhaps you should understand that I have only ever played the lower priced Ibanez basses and all the people I have talked to tend to say they have had problems or didn't like them. Which is why I said I was interested but wary of the BTB. I haven't had a chance to try one yet and haven't gone out my way to do so.

Also the only people I have seen play Ibanez basses are in metal bands. I'm not saying that makes them bad I'm just saying that they became a big icon thing when heavy bassists started using them. This will probably bring down credibility also but I have never heard of Gary Willis, or maybe I have heard of the band/group etc.

If I am wrong in my assumption I am very sorry for this rant but if I'm not I stand by what I have just said even if people can't understand it.

"Remember this son, No matter how hard you try there is always someone better than you......"

Originally posted by datsame:

This will probably bring down credibility also but I have never heard of Gary Willis, or maybe I have heard of the band/group etc.

FYI: Gary Willis (13.3 MB Quicktime video) or you can go Here and look around for yourself.

PAX brethren... I'm not sure greenboy was flaming anyone in particular... ummmm, were you?

Or maybe I'm just obtuse... I didn't read it that way...

Um, I'll just crawl back into my little hole now...

forget I said anything.

Bye

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by DanYmaL X:

URL=http://www.aic.se/basslob/videos/gary.html]FYI: Gary Willis[/url] (13.3 MB Quicktime video) or you can go Here and look around for yourself.

Incidently, the Ibanez Mr Wilis is playing in that very cool video is virtually identical in construction to my $375.00 Raven West bass... except mine sure don't sound ANYTHING like that one!

Of course, there are the obvious differences, fretless, Jazz P-ups Vs. my cheapo soaps etc... but if you put them together, and hid the headstocks, you'd think they were from the same model lineup...

Interesting.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

humm,...i don't really like any Ibanez basses, except for 2..........the Ibanez ATK 400, and the new Ibanez RKB 900 bass...

ATK:

http://www.guitar24.de/foto/IBA_ATK400SB.jpg

RKB:

http://ibanez.com/guitars/zoom/RKB900VF.jpg

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

I'm kinda with Datsame hear... something about the Ibanez marketing and/or image just doesn't speak to me.

When I go into the dealer with a wall of Ibanez, Fender, Warwick, & Peavey. Ibanez is the last one I pick up. I usually will try a couple different models, just to give them a fair shot.

They had a couple of used ATKs in once, those got my attention and if the checkbook had cooperated one may have come home with me. And I haven't seen one yet in person, but the RKB series also grabbed my attention. For a short time (2-3 years ago?) there was a Verdine White signature model... I think it shared some traits with the RKBs. Maybe I'll have to visit the ole' bass shoppe this afternoon.

And Gary Willis definitely deserves a listen, or 2, or 10...

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Mr M Pulsive:

Y'know? I completely forgot about the ATK. Find one of those with a good neck for around $300 and you've got a killer stingray-style bass for a nice price. They do tend to be on the heavy side, though.

Agreed. They tend to go on eBay for around $300 fo' sure (the 5-string ATKs for a few $$$ more).

ATK = good chunka wood in your hands for music or bar brawls or keeping your boat in one place. ;)

I also like the looks of those RKB basses as well, but I haven't played one yet.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have two BTBs, a 405 and 406 (pictured here) , and I think they're quite nice instruments, especially for the price. I love the neck, and as a matter of a fact, my new custom 5-stringer features the same neck profile as the BTB405, only with a 34" scale instead of 35" which is used in the BTBs. I can see why not everyone likes them, as the neck is quite wide, so it's better to try it out for yourself before making a judgement. The basses are quite heavy as well, so it's something to take into consideration too (but it's nothing a nice and wide strap wont solve).

I'd love to try a BTB1005 or a 1006 so I could compare it with the more cheaper models, but the high end models are quite rare in these parts of the woods. Not to mention that some big stupid-head has priced them way too high - I'll rather go all out for a no-compromises custom than shell out 2 grand for an Ibanez (not that there's anything wrong with 'em). Ah the sweetness of living in the middle of nowhere ;) ...

-Pernax

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

hey guys thanks for the compliments, im really proud of my bass :D

I do find the Luthite bodies a bit heavy for my taste, but the tones are awesome. How's it treating you, BK?

mine is treating me vewry nicely, i find the luthite body to be extremely lightweight actually.

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

My old SR506 6-string backup bass is coming back into play soon. The only reason it hasn't gotten gigged or practiced on more is because it's fretted. I've decided to defret its superior 3-piece dual trussrod neck and have my new luthier friend do the epoxy job there first. Virgin wood-resin epoxy is on its way.

I like its noiseless pickups which are basically 3-string-per-half P-bass stylee put into a soapbar case. They sound as good as any other magnetic out there and better than many {subjective opinion, but based on good references ; }

Then I'm thinking of stripping the clear coat, sanding down the top and having a figured grain wood top added and doing a fancy stain job much like the green I've seen on a bass of Jimmy Haslip. It'll be thin, because I don't want to impact its tonal character or its sustain.

Last on the list is to add a Graph Tech Ghost piezo setup along with their preamp. The preamp this particular year of SR506 came with is good and quiet (but has no passive bypass), but the Graph Tech Ghost system does Roland V-Bass 13-pin (and allows me to phantom power), and the piezos will likely improve the delivery to the V-Bass floor unit because of their superior string isolation.

I haven't found any way to get a great fretless 6-string bass with internal V-Bass driver that comes in for even 3 or 4 times the cost. I'll be doing this in steps while continuing to love practicing and gigging my Carvin fretless 5. Then, maybe, it will get transmogrified as well.

Nice plans you have there for that SR506 greeny. Once its done can we see some pics of the refinish job???? I've never seen a transparent green Ibanez and it would be an interesting site I'm sure, especially with a figured top added.

As far as the whole Ibanez credibility issue goes, I find them to be high quality instruments with low quality prices. I have the newer SR300DX which was only 500 Canadian and the same day i bought it i had played many 1000-2000 dollar basses by other brands. IMO the Ibanez sounded the best and felt the best for about a quarter of the price of the other basses I tried out. It does have a loose knob after about 6 months and the action was a little odd when i got it but those are things i would expect since it was shipped all the way from Korea, where it was actually quite well built despite one little loose knob that can be fixed for about 10-20 bucks.

Maybe the part of the ibanez line that doesn't attract you is their price range or the fact that they're all made in Korea? I must reiterate an old proverb here, don't judge a book by its cover. Just because something isn't made in the US doesn't mean its not worth buying. Just because its price is obviously lower than another instrument that you like doesn't mean it can't be far better than said instrument.

If the part that doesn't attract you is the sound you hear from them or the materials they use or their body shapes, than thats another story entirely but if its just where they're made or how much they cost then you should really try a few more before you totally write off the company all together. Maybe you've tried some that weren't great but no company makes bad basses, just the occasional badly assembled one.

well thats my little rant.

I just think it's flakey to condemn Ibanez generally (name a model, that may be a different story). I sold them along with a lot of other brands (F____ for one, back in the early eighties). I got to say, Ibanez quality control and consistency was better than most, and they came up with some great models through the years.

I'd say that is actually their main perception problem is that they HAVE done so many models. It's almost like trying to figure out what was going on with American car manufacturers at times. Too many names with numbers, and changes from one year to the next in some cases.

The other perception problem they have is also auto-related: same old Ford Chevy Mopar mindset at work here, based on limited sampling and "so-and-so drove a ____" biases.

That said, I think a lot of companies and lutheirs have done great work, and lesser work. And some may seem more in line stylistically for some people. Preferring to like certain companies or builders and their approaches certainly isn't the same as dissing others with only limited experience driving the rhetoric.

Archived