Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slappin

Radiohead

I was just wondering what the trick to sounding like the pros is with slap bass. I have a musicman string 5 and a nice ampeg amp, so i have good equipment for it. I was just wondering besides having new strings on and using octaves/muted notes, how does victor and flea sound so badass. What are some good scales to use? And whats the secret to going extremely fast like they do?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here You Go . The speed is gained from not 'bouncing' with your thumb, clever use of hammer-ons and ghostnotes-a-plenty. Lots of previous threads on this also which you can use the search feature for... i'll give it 5mins before someone reccommends Ed F's book as well :D

for some real speedy stuff check out Victor Wooten at Bass Day 98 for a good demo on his double slap method. This involves hitting the string on the way down and hitting it on the way back up. He describes it as 'using your thumb like a pick'

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by Gord -B:

Here You Go . The speed is gained from not 'bouncing' with your thumb, clever use of hammer-ons and ghostnotes-a-plenty. Lots of previous threads on this also which you can use the search feature for... i'll give it 5mins before someone reccommends Ed F's book as well :D

for some real speedy stuff check out Victor Wooten at Bass Day 98 for a good demo on his double slap method. This involves hitting the string on the way down and hitting it on the way back up. He describes it as 'using your thumb like a pick'

Thanks!! Little tricks like the double slap is what i need

See some real pros doin there thang on the videos section. But word of warning on the speed front, who would you rather sound like? Mark King or Marcus Miller..... :rolleyes:
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Flea's technique is easy. He does it as below.

T -Thumb

V -palm hit muted

P -Pop

D~- Double-notes-semitone glide on 1st

and 2nd strings with 1st & 2nd finger

T- VP VP T- / VP VP T- VP

variations

1. T- VP T- TP / VP T- T- VP

2. T- T- D~ VP / T- T- D~ VP

goes on...

The palm is continuously going up and down. It a two combination-movement. i.e. down down up, down up down up, or if you want you could also do down down down up. On the down hit, Palm or Thumb is played and on up motion of the palm, the pop takes place. Its up to you to decide where to hit the palm mute, pop, thumb , hammer-ons and hammer on pops. This way you can really go fast. I would advice you to look in to other techniques as well, so you will have a combination of varied techniques. Louis Johnson has a very good instructional video. An extract from that video can be seen at Bass Lobsters site under video.(Gord has given the link)I got that video and it sure taught and inspired me to slap crazy.

Originally posted by Ayatollah Watts:

Brian Bromberg's video is the one I was looking for.. never heard of that guy...

I'm not a huge fan of Brian Bromberg's music, it's too smooth jazz for my tastes. He's a helluva player. Total asshole of a person. He has some serious, serious attitude/ego issues.

Originally posted by Bartolini:

Flea's technique is easy. He does it as below.

T -Thumb

V -palm hit muted

P -Pop

D~- Double-notes-semitone glide on 1st

and 2nd strings with 1st & 2nd finger

T- VP VP T- / VP VP T- VP

variations

1. T- VP T- TP / VP T- T- VP

2. T- T- D~ VP / T- T- D~ VP

goes on...

The palm is continuously going up and down. It a two combination-movement. i.e. down down up, down up down up, or if you want you could also do down down down up. On the down hit, Palm or Thumb is played and on up motion of the palm, the pop takes place. Its up to you to decide where to hit the palm mute, pop, thumb , hammer-ons and hammer on pops. This way you can really go fast. I would advice you to look in to other techniques as well, so you will have a combination of varied techniques. Louis Johnson has a very good instructional video. An extract from that video can be seen at Bass Lobsters site under video.(Gord has given the link)I got that video and it sure taught and inspired me to slap crazy.

damn thats helpful thanks man

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Originally posted by Ayatollah Watts:

Brian Bromberg's video is the one I was looking for.. never heard of that guy...

I'm not a huge fan of Brian Bromberg's music, it's too smooth jazz for my tastes. He's a helluva player. Total asshole of a person. He has some serious, serious attitude/ego issues.
I just like the lil video on there... he laid down a nice lil slap line... I checked his website.. and from what I seen, i figured that the video was probably all I'd be interested in from dude... and from my experiences most jazz purist are snobs..he seemed like a jazz purist so I'm not suprised that you'd say what you did about him.. how'd you meet him?
Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

I have to give you a further point that I've missed to mentioned above.

The pops mentioned above is a combination of 'clean pops' and 'muted pops'.After right hand's paml-mute-hit down ward, the upward motion could play either a clean pop or a muted pop.

cheers!

Originally posted by Radiohead:

whats up with bassists that have enormous egos? From what it sounds like bassists are 2nd to lead singers in being complete douche bags...

Come now, everyone knows lead guitarists have the biggest ego in the world. Lead singers are usually just flakey. Lots of bass players have inferiority complexes due to a lack of distortion. Not a single person has figured out drummers yet. Oh, and keys players are just the puppet masters of the whole lot.

Bromberg - jazz purist? Not so sure about that. That's like calling Kenny G. a jazz purist. :)

Forget about every Slap monkey and go straight to the source: Larry Graham. He invented it, and is the master. Listen to Sly & the family Stone performances on the original Woodstock album. That's right where Flea got his whole bag of tricks. It's absolutely ferocious.

Originally posted by GTRBass:

Forget about every Slap monkey and go straight to the source: Larry Graham. He invented it, and is the master. Listen to Sly & the family Stone performances on the original Woodstock album. That's right where Flea got his whole bag of tricks. It's absolutely ferocious.

his instructional video isn't isn't really good.. it was entertaining tho...
Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

Archived