Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Workin' it on the low B: it just wouldn't be right without it!

_Sweet Willie_

The periodic emergence of the threads about 4, 5, 6, and more string basses and the constant reference to being "tasteful" on the low B string got me to wonderin':

What songs/pieces/compositions/tunes/etc. that utilize the lowest notes of the low B string do you think just wouldn't sound as good or sound "right" if you were to play them an octave higher?

Please note we're talking about personal opinion here -- so really no right or wrong answers (kind of like English class, except here you haven't been asked to defend your position in 5 pp or less! ;) ). I leave the issue of transposition in key (vs. a full octave shift) open for discussion.

I will first offer a tune that I bring up with some regularity around here: "Fight for Your Mind" by Ben Harper (off the album of the same name). Juan Nelson's line is outrageously yummy, and just doesn't have the same impact played higher.

For those of you who are exclusively 4-stringers who tend not to tune below E, have you met a tune that just wasn't workin' for you despite your best efforts when you had to transpose parts "traditionally" played below the E?

Next?

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collective Soul's "Why Pt. 2" comes to mind - you can certainly play it on a 4 string detuned to D, but then the bassline doesn't quite flow properly. And you just can't get that impact of the walk up from low B back to the D of the verse either. Some things are just meant for growl I guess.

the Grump

The only bass I have is a 4-string and there were times when I really missed the lower string. One of the songs we played was in dropped D and the part called for a slide from the low D and down. So, instead of just using the low B, I had to detune the string on the downbeat then tune it back on the upbeat, rinse and repeat. I tried using the high D but it sounded terrible...thank God it was only for about 6 measures!

It was definitely one of those times where I kept looking over at the other bass player in the band (yeah, we had two...) and longing for that 5th string that blessed his bass.

"Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part II" by King Crimson. Just doesn't have the brutal impact on those low D's when it's an octave higher.

"Steam" by Peter Gabriel, most notably the live version from "Secret World Live".

Bassplayer on both: Mr. Tony Levin.

On the personal front:

Damn near everything that Beller played below open low E on Yogi's albums that I now get to gleefully play.

Been listening to a lot of Gary Willis Magic with Tribal Tech and I think some of his way lowdown grooves are amazing. It has the gut wrenching affect that Ben Harpers - Fight for your mind's bass line has. Listen to Tribal Tech - Face First, he's riding the low B like a beast at some points. And the muting effect, ooooohhhhh..... :love:
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Johnny A's "Sometime Tuesday Morning" groove in the A section of the tune relies on low D on the B string. I really like this tune and get to play it in the duo with guitarist Jeff Mayer.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Alot of the older Sabbath (Iron Man, for example). I find a lot of their stuff requires me to detune my E to a D. For some reason, detuning my 4-string is the equivelent of chewing aluminum foil. I just don't like it. This is why next week I am going shopping for a 5 string (please don't flame me, BGO).

So is it true? Once you go "B", you never go "E"?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Social, that's a smart idea. I've been in bands that seemed to always tune in D (or drop D for our guitar playing friends). I am not about to detune any of my basses and change the tension on my neck. Instead, I play all the low D notes on the B string.

Ya know what else I do? I love to play Double Trouble, but their parts are written in half-step. I play their songs rooted on the fourth fret and I can keep from downtuning.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

i would have to chck , but i beleieve "superstition" by Stevie Wonder was in E flat- it sounds silly up an octave with a 4 banger- and just about everything else !! i love to drop those lo octaves in those older tunes, it fattens them right up!

Bumpcity!! Larks Tongues in Aspic? Holy crap, man! i thought i was the only that ever played that song! except i played it way back when- the original verion that was on an older King Crimson record.. i think it was John Wetton on that version and no lo b, i have to hear the Levin version!!!

I used to play that tune on an ancient Framus electric upright i had with strap pins so i could walk around with it... yes, it was drug induced.... :freak:

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

so was "Larks" on " In the Court of the Crimson King"?

another one that as fun was "Another Red Nightmare"- gosh, i hope Im remembering those correctly... my favorite band at the time?-- GENTLE GIANT !!!! what a friggin band!!!

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Yes, "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" was Wetton's first album with KC (followed by "Starless & Bible Black"--an album with absolutely SICK live improvs!!--and "Red," as well as some live compilations from that period). I'd like to hear Levin's version of it; but I do believe that Wetton's line on the original "LTiA Part II" can be played entirely on a 4-string in standard tuning. I can certainly see the point of plugging in some sub-E notes on that one, though. I think Wetton's right-in-your-face tone sort of makes up for it!

OT: I've often fantasized about doing an instrumental medley running seamlessly from "LTiA Part I" to "The Talking Drum" to "LTiA Part II." Killer. (When that screaming, distorted violin is chopped off by those razor-sharp guitars, I smile wide every time!)

Ditto "Gaslighting Abby." I've tried it on 4, & it's not quite the same.

I've noticed that in CCM/P&W music, 5 strings seem to be the norm, so I guess a lot of those songs are "meant" for 5. Still, I'm skeptical; I've certainly heard a number of those tracks where pounding on the B string seems to take the place of actual harmonic ideas.

"Every Ghetto, Every City" from The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is a sweet low B-string bassline courtesy of Tom Barney. :thu:However, as much as I like how it sounds, I haven't tried it up an octave :( , so I'm not sure how it would sound w/ out those really deep lows...

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by greenboy:

Like pounding on the E or A strings isn't the same thing - only higher ; }

Agreed. (My point was just that, on those songs, I think those extra-low notes could give way pretty easily to more interesting phrases in a higher octave. And would probably sound better overall. But of course you're right that 4-stringers can commit exactly the same sin, as can effects-users, & well, everybody.)

And I'd gotten your Floyd reference! But I want to say that the original line (to "Brick part II," no?) had E as the lowest note. (In any case, if you're gonna play that one, your lowest note needs to be HUGE, whatever it is!) HOWEVER, Guy Pratt has been doing some wicked reinterpretations of Floyd lines that require 5 strings (I'd have to check whether his version of "Brick part II" is one of them). Awesome stuff. He's opened up some exciting new possibilities in those songs, while staying very true to the spirit of them (i.e. they still sound like Floyd songs). Gotta love Guy!! :thu:

Cruisin' For Bruisin' by Basia goes between Fm and Db with a cool little bass line. The song sounds terrible without a low Db.

Here's the line in (gasp) tab:

G ----------------------------------------

D ---3-1-3----3-1-3-------3-1-3-----3-1-3-

A ----------------------------------------

E -1--------1-----------------------------

B --------------------2----------2--------

Originally posted by bassaddik:

Larks Tongues in Aspic? Holy crap, man! i thought i was the only that ever played that song! except i played it way back when- the original verion that was on an older King Crimson record.. i think it was John Wetton on that version and no lo b, i have to hear the Levin version!!!

Larks Tongues in Aspic pt II is a heavy-ass mofo of a song. Actually, probably my favorite version of that song is from 'Live In Argentina: official bootleg' (I think it was the B'Boom tour). It not only has Tony Levin on bass, but Trey Gunn on stick as well. Heavy, heavy, heavy.

There is one phrase in that song that is repeated a number of times that I always have trouble playing. I need to work doing this some more:

G----------12--

D-------11-----

A----10--------

E--9-----------

The Wetton era KC stuff is just killer. 'Red' is probably my favorite album of that period of the band. "One More Red Nightmare" and "Red" were songs that a drummer friend and I would screw around with during rehearsals all the time. That was fun.

man! is it just me, or is that tab stuff just too weird to make out?? seriously people, if you got the brains to figure out tab, PLEAS learn notation! ;)

I know Jeremey and Bumpcity put up tab for the sake of being able to use text.. and that does "look" line what i used to play for Larks...

sorry for the outburst... :rolleyes:

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Archived