Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small cab for GK 400

bubba upright

Howdy everybody,

I have a question that maybe my bass-playing bretheren can help me with.

Play upright bass in a jazz quartet 3-6 nights a week. I'm happy with my current amp rig (SWR Workingmans 4004 head and Carvin 2X10 cab) but toting that and my upright around is a real pain in the ass sometimes. I have an older GK 400RB head that I love with my upright, but when I use it with my 2X10 cab, sometimes it would just shut down(?) The cab is 400 watts, 4 Ohms.

I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Why does my GK head shut down while I play?

2. Is there a good 1X10 or 1X12 cabinet that I can mate with the GK head that WON'T shut down?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bubbaupright:

I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Why does my GK head shut down while I play?

Look for some posts by a fella named Ransom. He had problems with a GK1000RB, and GK fixed it. Apparently they had some, uh, quality issues. Your local GK dealer may be able to help you.

2. Is there a good 1X10 or 1X12 cabinet that I can mate with the GK head that WON'T shut down?
Depending on your budget, Avatar and Bergantino 1x12s come highly recommended by members of this board. Search.
- Matt W.

Don't they make a 1 x 10" extension cab for the SWR Workingman's WM10 combo amp? That might be an ideal solution if you like the sound of the G-K head. You could also sell some of your gear and pick up one of those all-aluminum G-K MB150S or MB150E 1 x 12" combos. I've heard they work well with uprights.

MB150S112

MB150E112

Thanks, Matt et al for your input about GK.

Greenboy-I'm not really looking to change my entire rig--I love the way the GK sounds with my upright. I was really just trying to find the cheapest, decent-sounding, small cab that would work with the wattage and Ohmage of a 400RB--but thank you for your input.

i'll be checking out Avatar and Behringer.

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

Archived