Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bottom Line NYC - Closing

57pbass

I just heard on the news that The Bottom Line will be closing its doors next week :cry:

due to back rent owed to its landlord - New York University in the amount of $190.000.

For those of you who have never been to the Bottom Line its one of the great venues in town ( Manhattan ) to see up and coming artists and some major acts.

Great site lines, great sound and affordable.

Bruse Springsteen did a multi day run of shows when he was on his way to stardom.

I'll list some of the shows I have seen there ..please join in and share some memories from this club...

Chuck Mangione

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Dickie Betts ( many times )

Sea Level

Little Richard ( one of the great concerts I've seen)

Robbin Ford

Chet Atkins

David Lindley

Marcus Miller

Thunderbirds

Patti Loveless

John Mayall

Marc Almond

Ringo Starr

Fab Faux

Tower Of Power

many local opening acts

I will miss this place unfortunatly I never performed on this stage which was on my list

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a sad state of affairs in NYC, many of the cities best venues for live music are in danger of closing. Tobacco Road, a haven for local artists and jazz/funk/jam/ fans closed its doors a few weeks ago and now the Bottom Line is being closed by (of all things!) NYU!! Youd think the university would appreciate the cultural value of places like the Bottom Line and Tobacco Road. These two close in the lingering shadow of pain caused by the closing of the once famous Wetlands a few years ago.

Between the sour economy and the bastion of new property taxes and local "curfews" more and more small music venues (i.e. those not owned by the demon seed itself, Clear Channel) will be closing down, further consolodating the market into the hands of the rich few (*cough* www.clearchannelsucks.org *cough*)

Please visit your local venues, support live music and local performers before the only places left are those owned by giant media conglomerates, forcing us to to listen to mediocre, manufactured shite churned out by the fetid pop music machine.

Support live music!

:thu:

-Brandy

www.clearchannelsucks.org

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Greenboy The last time I checked space in the 86th St south are going for between $30 and $50 per foot - sometimes higher.

Add to that the other costs associated with running a business in NYC and its close to impossible to do especially a club with live music and liquor. The insurance alone makes it prohibitive.

I do most of my playing in the other 4 boroughs where its still somewhat affordable but quickly catching up to Manhattan rents.

Tobacco Road, a haven for local artists and jazz/funk/jam/ fans closed its doors a few weeks ago

Idnarb - I did not know this place closed.. I went a few times and they had a nice thing going there.. I was offered a show there with a guy named Dylan but we never connected...

www.danielprine.com

Yeah, clubs came and went a lot in Seattle when I was there too, even small ones had a lot to contend with (though the leases were certainly better than over there), with ridiculous laws and attitudes against any art/culture that wasn't hoity-toity.

Seattle as a whole wanted to go to bed by 10PM and it was even hard to find a place to eat after a gig (Beth's and the Doghouse were faves, and an Ital place at Pioneer Square whose name escapes me). It's not as if it weren't a pretty big city; up in Vancouver BC or even Victoria you could easily find more going on all night long.

But best wishes for places for all of us, as players and as appreciaters.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:(

The Bottom Line has been a favorite of mine for years! I first saw Mike Keneally there! I first saw Tony Levin and Bill Bruford there! No no no!

This is depressing. I'm gonna go back to sleep and pull the covers over my head.

Hey BenLoy, aren't you a NYU alum? Can't you do something? Maybe offer to build them a new gym or auditorium or a bevy of "smart" classrooms or something if they'll forgive the debt?

Seriously, though, this is a real shame. I had heard that some prominent musician (maybe Bruce S.?) had been trying to raise some money to save the club. Is this true? Anyone know?

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Well, shoot. Double shoot. If you can't have clubs for the good acts in NYC, where can you have 'em? Teaneck? White Plains? Ramapo?

Priced out of the big city, the place where there is enough population density to have a good audience...

That really is sad. It was my favorite place to play soundwise in Manhattan. I must say that NYC really has lost its best clubs over the last few years. I wonder if I were 20 today if I would come to NYC like I did 20 years ago.

It's too bad that this is happening. I saw Michael Manring play a show here with Michael Hedges in 1995, and it was just tremendous. I hate to see this happen, but from what I hear they can't pay their rent.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived