Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Insightful look at orchestral work

fig

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very good article. This proves why parents hardly ever want their children to take up a career in music. I could not imagine trying to raise my family on his salary. It must truly be love!

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

After 16+ years with an associates degree in electronics engineering, a degree that cost me $36,000 back in 87, my average wage has been about $23,000.

There was a time when during the 90s I could literally step away from a job on a Friday and step into a new one that Monday.

At one time about 4 years ago it peaked at $42,000 but only for a brief moment when due to other circumstances I became irreplacable to my then employer. Cost cutting came, and everyone gets the axe to ensure profitability.

Lately my income in electronics has been as low as $18,000 and there has been NO stability at all. I've been out of work for a month so far. The instability has been hard on my health and were it not for my family in this area we'd be freezing and starving - can't afford groceries.

So if I'm going to have to endure such hellish instability while raising my family, I might as well endure it while doing something I love - music.

I've love to be able to earn $30k while doing that!!! :):) Hell, right now I'd be happy being able to earn just half of that!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Archived