Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic basses

danb291

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are knockin' me out. Now if I could only link to the old Bunny Bass content. I'm sure some of the young fellers would like to see the Crapocaster and the "P" Bass, and a few other vintage treasures lovingly shaped by hacksaw and rotary grinder...

A quick google didn't really land me any of the lunkers.

Originally posted by greenboy:

Hey 61,

I wonder what "Teisco Del Ray" is driving these days. I'll have to email David Lindley.

I'm sure he's still cruisin' up and down the road in a Merc'ry '49....... :D
Later..................

My own humble addition to the list: the Warwick Buzzard bass. Whatever you think about it, it is unique. They're also rare, but Warwick is re-releasing it. The Status graphite basses also intrigue me. Anybody ever played one? I'd like to know how they play. Thanks.

For modern basses that seem to be making a difference I'd nominate the Conklin GT-7 for bringing more strings down to mass-produced pricing and actually stirring a lot of interest in luthier-built basses (yeah, a lot of the buyers end up saving for Conkin and other 7-strings-and-up custom jobbies).

The other modern bass I have true respect for is the Dingwall Afterburner . Actually Sheldon Dingwall and Ralph Novax both deserve a lot of credit for the conceptual stretch they've accomplished, and Sheldon has brought the price of a 5-string fanned-fret instrument down to where a lot more players can get involved. It's a well-made bass all around... but here's a blurb from the Dingwall site that encapsulates the main reason this bass at THIS PRICE* has significance:

"After years of building basses mostly using the Novax® Fanned-Fret system™, but also some with standard parallel frets, we've come to the conclusion that the use of this technology makes basses better - period. The tension and tone from string to string is more even and low note definition is greatly improved. EQing a bass whose strings are all of a similar tonal character is so much easier than when the low strings have a darker quality and the higher strings have a brighter quality."

*I think price has meaning for instruments that have been considered classics. When new concepts become attainable for more musicians it means that more can experience what is special about those instruments. While no modern instrument design is likely to sell like the Fender shapes have sold (talk about saturation!), it doesn't hurt that more people can play them.

Archived