Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Focusrite Platinum Trak Master preamp

Ben

My previous preamp setup was a Sadowsky on-board plus Avalon U5. Not a lot of options but a huge big round tone. I switched back to passive pickups (Aeros) since I missed a certain punch live that I only seem to be able to get with passives. What I lost was the big round bottom that the Sadowsky adds with just a little tweak of the low tone control.

After some trials and exchanges of other gear with Musicians Friend, I ended up with a Focusrite Trak Master. I had been intrigued with Focusrite, but most of their stuff is way out-of-budget for a simple bass preamp, for my budget, anyway.

The Focusrite had features I wanted: single space rack mount, balanced +4dB output, input jack on the front panel, high headroom Class A first stage, decent EQ.

I took the cover off and looked inside, like I am wont to do, and its a nice looking board, with some discrete transistor pairs here and there, Alps pots, nice power supply and a whole buncha 5532 chips. In some circles 5532s are sort of looked down on, being as common as mosquitoes, but I figured that the Focusrite crew wouldnt have used them if they didnt get the sound they were after. (Stewart uses them too, theres a couple in each channel of the World 1.2, if I remember right from my look-see under the hood of that unit.)

Well, it sounds just fine, almost as big and open as the Avalon, has quite a bit more gain, and is even quieter re. hiss and hum. The controls are very powerful, a little tweak on most of them goes a long way. The EQ features work well for me, I tend to turn down the 1.5k presence control a few dB to control fret noise, and boost the semi-parametric bass control a few dB depending on the room and the cab(s) I am using.

It also has a fairly nice optical compressor not what I bought it for, but nice enough that I keep it switched on at a low level mostly as a tone device. A punch button preserves leading edge attack, release is fully adjustable, and a tube sound feature actually sounds pretty good to me if used in moderation.

Like some other folks, Ive been waiting for Nick Epifani to release his preamp for, oh, thirty or forty years now. I dunno, though, I think maybe the Focusrite will do it for me. Sorry, Nick!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you like the Focusrite.

I am surprised that you couldn't get what you want out of the Avalon U5. That's always been a high-end mainstay !!

So I guess that Pulcinella 5 is working for you !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I cam very close to buying one of the mid-line "green pick" Focusrite units for bass - and then again looked at the unit you are talking about. Focusrite in general is just Good Stuff™. It surprises me that more bassists aren't looking at "board channels in a single rack-space" - channel strips - or inline all-in-one vocal preamp/processors, etc. Some of these are much better tone-shapers and signal deliverers than given credit.

Actually a lot of pretty well-priced, high-performance choices from a number of brands, last I looked.

Well, Tom, I played my trusty Precision for many years, almost always with a 1x15 combo of some sort. About 4 years ago I decided it was time to retire the Precision and subsequently have gone through major GAS attacks, buying and trying half a dozen or so basses and amps. It's been great fun, but fiscally somewhat irresponsible, and finally shows signs of settling down.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that, yeah, I am really happy with my Level 5.

I'm interested that your've been using the Focusrite Platinum preamp, I was looking at one in a studio equipment mag recently and wondered what they were like. Correct me if I'm wrong but Focusrite is designed by Rupert Neve, I've use Neve AMS EQ and Compression modules in the studio before and Focusrite EQ's and plug in's and they all sound great, apparently he's designing some new pre's and comp's with AMEK at the moment.

In the slightly cheaper range I've recently been using a Mindprint stereo tube EQ/Limiter for mastering and for the price it's sensational, everything we put through it sounds immediately cleaner, warmer and subtly more sibilant without being muddy or clangy sounding.

I agree with Greenboy that it is surprising more bass players dont get into this kind of gear because in the studio the difference in tone between decent quality Pre's and comp's and the average front end of a mass produced bass amp is just chalk and cheese.

Greenboy, I still have a pair each of Bergantino and Epifani 1x12s. I tend to use the Bergantinos as a pair or just one Epifani. I have mild GAS for a new lightweight Epifani 210 or 310, but the 112s work so well for me that I really can't justify it to myself. I also haven't forgotten your concept of a three way system, with pole-mounted ear-level cab on top of a subwoofer. I am also curious about Avatar 12" cabs, since he using the stock Eminence speakers that we were curious about way back when. I also am curious about Accugoove. But - sticking with what I've got for now.

Not all neodymium drivers are the same according to a couple of companies. Eminence makes them all, but a couple companies claim to be using their own designs, for better efficiency and less of a mid-midrange hump.

I'd stick with what you got or look at EA and Accugroove. Avatar are at the box-stuffer end of the spectrum. Good value, but not going to define the game by any means.

Originally posted by greenboy:

Eminence makes them all...

I believe B&C are also making Neodymium speakers, as found in MarkBass and possibly some of the Epifani cabs.

I think the Acmes are ideal candidates for Neo speakers - they're already lighter than most other similarly sized cabs (thinner plywood with cunning bracing to reduce resonance) and the improved heat-sinking and thus reduced power-compression would go well with the high power they can demand.

Alex

Archived