Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Irritated sound guys

frontlinebass

Thanks, greenboy, that makes me feel so much better! :) It's hard not to feel like I'm being penalized for trying something different. Some days are easier than others to shake it off, but after 5 months of off-and-on touring I guess I'm feeling a little weary. I'll keep my chin up!

Joe (the drummer) plays a six-piece set with 8 cymbals, electronic percussion, and a sequencer. That's the beauty of being in a two-piece band -- you can take the minimalistic route, or you can expand your setup as much as you want and not have to worry about stepping on each other's toes. Obviously we have gone the latter route! :) It does have its drawbacks but I wouldn't do it any other way.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by CMDN:

Now... we play places without a decent PA (vocals only) VERY often, and, believe it or not, the mix we get there, simply by mixing our own stage volume with the vocal PA can be much nicer than what we encounter in some of the big rooms with nice PA systems.

I totally believe it, everything sounds so much more balanced, live and musical when the drums are acoustic and the amps are providing the FOH sound. I've yet to play through any PA with the clarity, extension and timing of my bass rig and I doubt I ever will!

Alex

Interesting postscript: We just had to cancel our showcase at the Indianapolis Music Conference because they insist on bands using the backline only]. I think it's great that some bands can do this without any problem, but it's too bad that that has to be the no-exception policy. They chose 50 bands out of however many applied, so one would think that those 50 would be fairly experienced and accomplished and able to set up and tear down rapidly.
In your situation, clatter, I sympathize. The sound you're going for is not something that can be replicated by a piece of rack gear you can just bring and plug in, unfortunately.

My thoughts on people bringing their own amps to a backline-provided venue were directed at those who go for fairly conventional sounds. Really, who cares if the amp is an SWR when you're used to the sound of your Eden rig?

This an equipment rider, specifying minimumly acceptable performance and/or brands, helps. If the venue can provide that equipment, fine. If not, you should have the right to bring gear to that level. You would need to be flexible, too. You might be required to set your gear up and leave it for a day or have to let the rest of the bands use some of your gear as the backline.

Archived