Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your opinions please (looking for a bass head)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rotosound45:

what brand is the 6x10 cabinet?

More importantly, what's the power handling and impedance of the cab? That is, how many watts can it handle at its impedance of x ohms?

Also, what kind of music does your son play?

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

OK, you might be able to get any of the following "used" in the n'hood of $500:

Ampeg SVT-3Pro -- 450W into 4 ohms

SWR SM-400, SM-400S, or SM-500 -- 400W-500W into 4 ohms

Gallien-Krueger 700RB -- 480W into 4 ohms

A brand new Carvin R600 head will cost just under $600 including shipping -- 600W into 4 ohms. It'll be less "used".

There are probably more options, too; these will get you started on the search. They are all pretty reliable brands, but will all sound different. Except for the Carvin, none of them push the full power that the cab can handle, but even 350W into a 6x10 will get pretty darn loud.

Good luck.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I agree with the previous posts, that the Ampeg B2-R or the SVT-350 or the SVT-pro's would be great. However, they all max out at 4 ohms at 350 watts or so, and as a result you will never be getting full range out of your cab.

If you aren't going bigger than 300 people venues, that would be fine though.

The B2-R should be close to $400 used, and is rack mountable, so that is my preference.

peaceOUT,

Germain

.~.

Why is he selling his SVT? What do you mean by "quirky"? What kind of sound does he want? Has he thought about how he is going to move it around and protect it. I would suggest something rackmountable.

Without answers to these questions I would go with something by SWR. It's clean, fat and punchy. Sounds good, works right, goes into a rack. What more could you ask for?

The only two guys I know who have G-K gear both had the heads blow on them within a week of each other. (The motherboard on one of them was so fried that the techs were never able to find the faulty component.)

What

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Archived