Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P-bass foundation of rock?

frontlinebass

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, it was the electric guitar that was the catalyst for rock. The P-bass was a nice, convenient medium to further the sound as we know it today.

I think you can substitute various bass instruments and still achieve rock; piano/keys, trombone, string bass, etc.

I do prefer, however, my bass guitar. :D

I agree with the original statement. The electric bass (not necessarily the P bass) did define what we know of as rock & roll.

And Keith Richards agrees with me :cool:

Electric guitars have been around much longer than electric basses. Listen to some old cuts of Chicago Blues with URBs. Then listen to stuff a little newer with EBs. It's the change over from Blues/R&B to Rock & Roll. That's the sound of Rock & Roll to me anyway. Granted all these genres and sub genres of popular music blur together.

You just don't get that punch, especially when coupled with a bass drum with an URB.

I just recently gave a series of lectures on the history of electric bass at the School of Audio Engineering in Perth Western Australia and looking back at the differences that Fender basses made to music over the period from the 50's to about 1975 and onward, it's hard not to rate them as one the most important instruments of the last century, not just in Rock but Jazz and many other forms of contempory music also.

I'm not a huge fan of Fender Basses in a modern context but I do beleive that Leo Fender was a genius and Fender Basses were pivitally important the development of contemporary music as we know it.

To step outside the actual model of instrument for a second, it's my understanding that increased city noise pollution is the main reason we have rock (amplified) music. Accoustic music seemed to be going along quite fine until cities got larger and noisier. The competetion with these outside nuisances, more or less forced musicians and the makers of musical instruments to find ways of making things louder.

Personally, I say "Amen" to city life :thu:

Off topic I know but worth thinking about!

Cup

Archived