Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alembics....Best Ever?

charlietuna

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BenLoy:

Even bassists who use tricked-out custom instruments live will often pull out an old Fender when they go into the studio. They work.

That's why you'd have to chop my hands off before I get rid of my trusty, well-worn, red Yamaha BB300. I can make that one work for just about anything.

Nothin' beats a passive P for classic electric bass tone. :thu:

I've owned a few Alembics in my day.....great basses. One of my favorites was this '91 Alembic Essence Custom.

http://5centmary.com/Peter1.jpg

It was my #1 4 stringer for about 2 years !!

Great bass !!!

PJR

Originally posted by Peter J Romano:

I've owned a few Alembics in my day.....great basses. One of my favorites was this '91 Alembic Essence Custom...

It was my #1 4 stringer for about 2 years !!

Great bass !!!

PJR

I knew PJR would chime in here sometime. I also had a feeling that he'd had an Alembic or twelve in his personal collection at one time or another.

:D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Peter J Romano:

... Lookie Here !

PJR

:eek::love::eek:

That bass is amazing!!!

-P

EDIT: I should add that I'm more than comfortable with 5 strings, I have a 6-stringer too but I prefer the 5, so 8 would be really pushing it... But I do have to say that great craftsmanship always gets a big thumbs up from me :thu: !

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Originally posted by orphan wells:

Has anyone ever recorded with an Alembic? I noticed the last time I recorded with one I had to turn off all of the lights in the studio because the pickups are so sensitive they were picking up some buzz from the high powered mini halogens. Anyone ever had this happen?

Noise was an issue with my Series One in the studio, so I never used it to record for a long time. It ended up being more an issue with the outboard power supply than the pickups or electronics in the instrument itself, though. I found if I used the 1/4" stereo jack with batteries to power the preamps it alleviated the noise problems. That said, I STILL use a P-bass 99.9% of the time when in the studio. :D

Something I've noticed over the years about Alembic tone is that they invariably sound better when plugged through an Alembic preamp. Go figure. :rolleyes: Also, Alembic stereo basses sound truly terrible :freak: when run in mono, IMO.

Later..................

Archived